User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got a shipment of plants today...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I choose to buy plants from really great nurseries instead of going out to movies or on vacations, or really buying new clothes or furniture for my apartment or having other hobbies or ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I choose to buy plants from really great nurseries instead of going out to movies or on vacations, or really buying new clothes or furniture for my apartment or having other hobbies or ...
    .... or soap.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fungus gnat laravae already taken care of. They leave really noticeable slime trails on the lFS, and they're all dead now. That bayer stuff has saved me from this shipment and the other shipment as well which is pretty funny.

Last shipment was awful, I had spider mites everywhere. I literally got shivers down my spine from watching them do their damage on the plants. I couldn't get back from OSH fast enough, I'll tell you that.

All my plants are pest and disease free so far. It's just really what they ship with is all . Please don't let this impair anybody's interpretation of my plants. They start out crap, but they end up looking good after about a month of careful preening.

What can I do about this situation? I can't really tolerate the fact that some beginner hobbyist gets shafted and doesn't have the knowledge or supplies that I do to fully reestablish these plants. I mean Jacob Farin and Jeff will literally spend hours with you on the phone if he has to, to help you take care of any plant, regardless of origin. Not only have I received excellent customer service from them, but they're friends to anybody in the community as well.

Why these people are members of NECPS, I have no idea. I just wanted my N. Reinward...
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    .... or soap.
    LOL! Thanks for helping me find a website to buy my friends b-day presents from:

http://www.nepenthesbathtime.com/products/soaps.html

Not sure how safe glow in the dark soap is, but I'm sure it's useful when you have to get up at the crack of dawn...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus gnats are gross guys, if you see just one of those nasty larvae, liberally spray your soil with neem/pyrethrins. The problem is controlled, but they leave those nasty slime trails which should wash away after a few waterings. I'm also not too fond of the idea of even "organic" pesticides in my soil. They've proven to be harmless so far, but then again, it's been two days. Neps are stronger than I've given them credit for anyways.

I seriously hate this nursery at this point and we all need to come together to form a complaint with BE. Thats two types of pests I've gotten already and definitely not incidental. If anybody is interested, please PM me.

Thanks for letting me know fungus gnats are not benign. I was not aware of that until I did some reading. You guys are great.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bt as a soil drench is another great control method. Easy to apply with a normal watering and extreamly safe for everything except insect larvae! There is a product on the market Gnatrol which works great. It might be a bit impractical for a single hobby grower though due to the size of the packageing. Maybe if a few folks got together and split up one container. I have heard people use those mosquito pond bisquits soaked in water to make a drench. I don't know if it's as effective as there are different strains of Bt for different pests.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    It might be a bit impractical for a single hobby grower though due to the size of the packageing. Maybe if a few folks got together and split up one container.
    Or for an online nursery to offer in smaller quantities. wink wink.

I have noticed most online nurseries don't offer pest control products or fertilizers for sale. Are there issues with doing so? With so many products on the market, it would be great for us hobbyist to have access to professionally approved ones in order to avoid the risk of buying the wrong one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dashman: it might be liability along the lines of, "hey this killed my neps and you sold it to me so you owe me all new plants!!!" Of course, in that instance, it would be a case of not reading the directions correctly (use only 1/4tsp per gallon instead of 3tbsp or something like that), but with the amount people get sued in this country...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast