What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I got a shipment of plants today...

in general, if done properly, shipping bare-root plants in a bag of damp LFS works best in my experience, as there is no bulky, solid, heavy pot of "media" to be pressing on the plant.)

I agree, that is the way I ship my plants, and for the same reason. Plus I like to keep my pots to reuse them.

What should I do about the N. Maxima? Based on the initial picture you could probably say all the roots have been stripped off and I'm only left with the chunky white taproot right?

Leilani uses this technique on weak plants with very little root left where they will cut the leaves in half to conserve the plant's water supply to focus on root production first. I did clip some of the more dried leave completely off. It was starting to look really dry. The growth tip hasn't shown any movement yet and the tendril burned, which is to be expected. I'll see if this technique helps the plant along becuase I know we've all had that really dried out rooted cutting that hasn't grown in a couple months and it's depressing to look at.
Growing Tips From Box to Bench

I have yet to get an email back from the vendor. I think they've jumped ship on me. Too bad, I'm sure at this point they've lost more customers because of me that would have jumped on their new stock coming in this month. I've tried to call them before, but they just have a general customer service employee who would handle such claims, but at any other nursery I call, heck one of the owners of the business will talk to me on the phone directly. I've never had a problem, I usually just call the compliment on the quality of my orders if they're big ones.

I will tell you that the 3-4 measly dollars you end up saving will end up biting you in the rear because you WILL have really poor plants for the next month or so. I am happy about a 10 dollar N. Alata and my free N. Spectabilis (Giant Form) x Ventricosa though, it is quite a lovely plant. Also hate repeat myself but, Andrew's plant which is a week old now, is making its first pitcher already since it got here.

Last edited:
I would treat the plant as though it were a Nepenthes cutting; simply cut the leaves in half and lightly apply a a rooting hormone such as Clonex or Rootone with fungicide (too much and the cutting simply rots). I have had similar experiences with N. rajah in the past. That plant for whatever reason can have little to no roots at the young ages they are sold . . .

Wow!
While we touched on some interesting issues here for a while, it seems we are right back where we started! :comp:

And it truly amazes me how many of the old, long established nursery techniques :scratch: and plant growing basics ??? are still needing to be explained to all the growers here that claim to "have" :blahblah9xm: all this knowledge :crazy: and experience ! :rookwoot: Something doesn't add up!

PS: Back2-8, I hope to have opportunity check out your packing methods someday... ;)
BigB: I noticed the same thing... what is it where too much fungicide makes something rot? Seems kinda backwards!

Okay, it has become obvious that we are now beating a dead horse! :headwall:

Last edited:
Growin...

I don't think caring for frail, damaged, and dehydrated plants that may be shipped to you is covered in the basic care guide of these plants. I was sharing my findings in the quest to provide care to my ailing and sad looking plant. I understand if this might be old news for most of the advanced growers on here, but I'm still learning how to cure plants of ailments. And I do apologize if I overlooked some advice earlier, there is a lot of content on this thread and I do enough reading these days in school!

I'd consider myself an experienced grower because if you handed me most of the highland nepenthes I normally grow, I'd know how to fufill it's basic requirements based on the time I've spent growing them.

So far in the same month, I've had first time run-ins with pests, root damaged plants, and irresponsible vendors, please cut me a break sir!

BigB: I noticed the same thing... what is it where too much fungicide makes something rot? Seems kinda backwards!

You misunderstood.

One of the major mistakes in using rooting hormones such as Clonex (3-indolebutyric acid), is in using far too much of the gel. It only works well in the lightest of applications; and an excess causes cuttings to rot. Rootone (rooting hormone with fungicide), while a powder, must also be used sparingly; and the fungicide component of Rootone won't protect cuttings from incorrect or overuse . . .

You are exaggerating a bit Chris....just a bit!
That plant looks good and it will survive with no problems if you plant it and leave it alone. Maybe spray it for mites too.
I'm with Growing here too....how can you not be a beginner grower if you are asking beginner questions?! After just a year growing neps you cannot be an experienced nep grower no matter if you killed or not any plants or if you grown other plants the rest of your life. These plants are a bit different than others.
The method they ship plants is a VERY nice one if is executed right! They are crappy at it. Only thing you have to do is make sure the soil is secure and tight with tape and then just tape the cup over. Works perfectly for small plants and there is no shock to the plant either this way. On the down side, if the vendor is not careful he might send you a few parasites in the soil with the plant and you might miss it at your inspection.

Guess I'm a beginner then. Im just used to hobbies that develop a little more rapidly so I became a little bit defensive about the term. My apologies TF. Well time to just read and not post anymore I suppose.

As for exaggerating, you know what I'm probably thinking too much of it and as an engineering undergrad, reading and re-reading things as a habit tends to make me go batcrazy insane over small details and imperfections in the things I do. I think I'm just going to take it easy today. I've probably been too stressed out over exams and stuff lately and rereading this thread, I probably should have stopped after the 2nd post or so and let nature take it's course. The rest is just my belligerent ranting about off-topic stuff.

Last edited:
Guess I'm a beginner then. Im just used to hobbies that develop a little more rapidly so I became a little bit defensive about the term. My apologies TF. Well time to just read and not post anymore I suppose.

What the hell are you apologizing for? Post all you want! Ask anything! I had always been under the impression that this was an informal forum where any questions could be asked; that someone here takes the time and effort to criticize another's question strikes me as somewhat strange. There are many here who would be happy to answer.

Good luck with the plants . . .

What the hell are you apologizing for? Post all you want! Ask anything!
Agreed. Just like over in one of the 'Timmy' threads, I think some folks tend to get too excited about some label of experience - whether it's a number of years or 'beginner' or 'expert' or .... I've never seen how 'labels' help much ... Heck, I impress myself every day with how much I don't know ... :scratch:

Hey guys,
Not my intention to tag/label/stamp anyone here if someone is implying that....it was just a rare observation of mine. Chris, you don't have to apologize for anything. This is mostly a beginner forum (like or not) so feel free to post and comment on anything....but do it in a responsible manner. Personally i'm a bit tired of the "i read in a book" kind of advice ratter that one given from growing experience ....but that's just me (not referring to this thread).

The plant doesnt look that bad,very nice red leaves for a maxima! if you have optimal conditions it shouldnt be a problem, otherwise keep it in high humidity and leave it to recover.
I grow my plants outdoors and sometimes it takes then up to half a year b4 they start growing again. But when they do they just take off and grow crazy fast!
Ived rescued alotta plants i dont have yet from nurseries - well at a discounted price .

Well ive had worst then you imagine a $390 plant order going missing in the post!! I was lucky the vendor was nice enough to send me a replacement!

Back