User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: So I got a shipment of plants today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehh yuck, the only pest I have gotten with my plants is springtails (I think), I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to spray them with something.

Anyways anyone mind sending me a message saying were the plant was from?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think once you get to a certain number of plants and are trading and buying so often (unless it's all TC flasks), it's inevitable that you'll get bugs, especially if your plants aren't in NASA-standards-hypo-everything containment. I think you've just got to be prepared for when you do, so that you know what you have to do and can get rid of the problem ASAP.

Who knows when you'll walk through an aphid-infested birch tree, pick up a girly-aphid, walk home, immediately go see your plants, and then have a whole colony of the little devils a couple weeks later on your prized hamata and ventXTM. It's no ones's fault and that doesn't mean that you're off limits for trading forever, it just means you have to know how long it's going to take you to get rid of the problem and to be mature enough to hold on trades until you know for sure you're not going to infect anyone else.

At this point I plan on always keeping some neem around and I spray everything down randomly now and then for a few weeks at a time just to make sure, and to spray everything down (because I don't have a mister/fogger) every once in a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus gnats and other pests have increasingly become a problem with many commercial nurseries -- phytosanitary certification or not -- and another reason why I have come to prefer bare-root plants (which had been the norm for as long as I could recall); also, I now make it a policy to quarantine any new plant for a couple of weeks upon arrival, after a nasty infestation of spider mites from a certain -- unresponsive -- New England vendor (whom I will not name or ever purchase from again) back in 2007 . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,
    What Thez says sums it up well...
    And I certainly agree with Bella ... (Hey "Big" notice I wrote Bella BIG! Kinda creative, huh!)
    I don't know what the problem is shipping out bare-root, unless the vendor's assistant is a moron! I suppose it might really be a problem if the moron is ripping a Cephalotus from its pot without care, or stripping a Nep. of its roots because he is in a hurry.
    So I suppose that then creates the issue of proving that a plant was damaged during un-potting, as opposed to an error on the part of the buyer.
    Oh boy, the more I think about it, I guess there is no "ideal" situation, other than finding suppliers who know what they are doing! and actually care about plants! and people!... and can be trusted!
    Sometimes finding caring vendors can only be found out thru experience. (And word of mouth from people you trust.)
    That's the way its been done for years, and it still works!

Someone once suggested having a site that people could anonymously post about and rate companies... but from what I have seen on the net now-a-days, it won't help at all. (The jerks from a company in question now come in posing as different customers, and post about their "wonderful" experiences with such a "caring and professional" company!) So that route isn't successful either.

Again, as Big B describes, it's buyer beware... and be ready for anything!
    An "experienced" grower has learned the importance of doing things like to quarantine plants upon arrival, and has also learned how to handle a lot of the situations that arise. He (she) has learned "response-ability" (the ability to respond effectively), and paid the price of "bad" experience to learn that! As Thez says... (hey, that rhymes!) the bugs are out there! If you don't get them, they WILL get you!

Oh, and I myself have had better luck over the years, when receiving (most) plants bare-root. (The dews however, are not truly "bare" root for my preference.) But in general, if done properly, shipping bare-root plants in a bag of damp LFS works best in my experience, as there is no bulky, solid, heavy pot of "media" to be pressing on the plant.)

Well, good luck all.
    (Oh Bella...spider mites huh!) Well, I have no problem with you sending me all your plants! I would gladly deal with some spider mites to have a great collection like you do!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in general, if done properly, shipping bare-root plants in a bag of damp LFS works best in my experience, as there is no bulky, solid, heavy pot of "media" to be pressing on the plant.)

I agree, that is the way I ship my plants, and for the same reason. Plus I like to keep my pots to reuse them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What should I do about the N. Maxima? Based on the initial picture you could probably say all the roots have been stripped off and I'm only left with the chunky white taproot right?

******* uses this technique on weak plants with very little root left where they will cut the leaves in half to conserve the plant's water supply to focus on root production first. I did clip some of the more dried leave completely off. It was starting to look really dry. The growth tip hasn't shown any movement yet and the tendril burned, which is to be expected. I'll see if this technique helps the plant along becuase I know we've all had that really dried out rooted cutting that hasn't grown in a couple months and it's depressing to look at.
    Growing Tips From Box to Bench

I have yet to get an email back from the vendor. I think they've jumped ship on me. Too bad, I'm sure at this point they've lost more customers because of me that would have jumped on their new stock coming in this month. I've tried to call them before, but they just have a general customer service employee who would handle such claims, but at any other nursery I call, heck one of the owners of the business will talk to me on the phone directly. I've never had a problem, I usually just call the compliment on the quality of my orders if they're big ones.

I will tell you that the 3-4 measly dollars you end up saving will end up biting you in the rear because you WILL have really poor plants for the next month or so. I am happy about a 10 dollar N. Alata and my free N. Spectabilis (Giant Form) x Ventricosa though, it is quite a lovely plant. Also hate repeat myself but, Andrew's plant which is a week old now, is making its first pitcher already since it got here.
    Last edited by Chris_Himself; 04-20-2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: link now works
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would treat the plant as though it were a Nepenthes cutting; simply cut the leaves in half and lightly apply a a rooting hormone such as Clonex or Rootone with fungicide (too much and the cutting simply rots). I have had similar experiences with N. rajah in the past. That plant for whatever reason can have little to no roots at the young ages they are sold . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!
    While we touched on some interesting issues here for a while, it seems we are right back where we started!

And it truly amazes me how many of the old, long established nursery techniques and plant growing basics are still needing to be explained to all the growers here that claim to "have" all this knowledge and experience ! Something doesn't add up!

PS: Back2-8, I hope to have opportunity check out your packing methods someday...
    BigB: I noticed the same thing... what is it where too much fungicide makes something rot? Seems kinda backwards!

Okay, it has become obvious that we are now beating a dead horse!
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 04-20-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast