What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I got a shipment of plants today...

Fungus gnats are gross guys, if you see just one of those nasty larvae, liberally spray your soil with neem/pyrethrins. The problem is controlled, but they leave those nasty slime trails which should wash away after a few waterings. I'm also not too fond of the idea of even "organic" pesticides in my soil. They've proven to be harmless so far, but then again, it's been two days. Neps are stronger than I've given them credit for anyways.

I seriously hate this nursery at this point and we all need to come together to form a complaint with BE. Thats two types of pests I've gotten already and definitely not incidental. If anybody is interested, please PM me.

Thanks for letting me know fungus gnats are not benign. I was not aware of that until I did some reading. You guys are great.

Bt as a soil drench is another great control method. Easy to apply with a normal watering and extreamly safe for everything except insect larvae! There is a product on the market Gnatrol which works great. It might be a bit impractical for a single hobby grower though due to the size of the packageing. Maybe if a few folks got together and split up one container. I have heard people use those mosquito pond bisquits soaked in water to make a drench. I don't know if it's as effective as there are different strains of Bt for different pests.

It might be a bit impractical for a single hobby grower though due to the size of the packageing. Maybe if a few folks got together and split up one container.

Or for an online nursery to offer in smaller quantities. wink wink. :)

I have noticed most online nurseries don't offer pest control products or fertilizers for sale. Are there issues with doing so? With so many products on the market, it would be great for us hobbyist to have access to professionally approved ones in order to avoid the risk of buying the wrong one.

dashman: it might be liability along the lines of, "hey this killed my neps and you sold it to me so you owe me all new plants!!!" Of course, in that instance, it would be a case of not reading the directions correctly (use only 1/4tsp per gallon instead of 3tbsp or something like that), but with the amount people get sued in this country...

Hey Tony! Cool idea!
We could all get together and buy a load of Gnatrol or Bt and simply have it sent to "the nursery in question"!
Then perhaps THEY can just apply it to their bug infested plants before packing them in their little "Easter baskets" to ship them out!
It's a win-win situation for everyone! :-))

Seriously, I think posting one's "experience", especially with pictures, is one of the best things to do, as it helps other growers know what they may need to watch out for. One of the reasons this and other forums are here, is to help growers communicate with one another. And whether it is how to deal with fungus, fertilizing, insect infestation or any other "Black Plague" we may encounter, we owe it to ourselves to communicate factually and accurately. :beer: ;)

I haven't had the "bug" problems as obvious as this from a vendor (and actual pictures of what was found would have been valuable), but in the future I will definitely check my plants even more carefully, and even un-pot them if it is questionable, clean off the plant, apply something perhaps and re-pot them back up. I have already learned to quarantine my plants by hearing about others experiences, and at this point it is outright foolish not to. A vendor's liability is limited to plant replacement, end even that requires valid proof now-a-days. Some vendors concern for $$$ and their own interests is worse than others, and it has always been that way and always will. But at least now we are able to communicate with others worldwide, and compare notes and ideas on how to best deal with the situation. :bigthumpup::thumbdown:

It has been long known here that certain vendors have sub-standard conditions/plants, and yet they are still in business. It is up to each of us to determine how we choose to deal with the situation. (Even if one bad vendor went out of business, another would take its place.) :headwall:

I myself look for plants from vendors I trust first, and then I may eventually check "less reputable" vendors for price and availability. If price is dramatically cheaper or if they have something to offer that others do not, only then do I consider ordering from them. The thing that helps the most for me, is when people accurately report on their individual experiences (save the hype, bo-hoo and over-reacting). Whether fertilizing, growing or simply buying plants, the more we share our experiences, the better we can weigh out our own situation and any potential risks! :woot:

For now, thanks Chris for sharing, nice pics.... a couple of the larvae themselves would have been pertinent, and actually driven the point home! I would have taken pics of the bugs, and sent them to the company and requested a replacement WITHOUT return of the plant UNLESS THEY PAY FOR RETURN SHIPMENT PLUS HANDLING! If they refused I would simply inform them that I was going to post the pics along with the details on various forums, and also notify the better business bureau. (I don't know if you need a permit to send noxious bugs thru the mail, but there may be some action that could be taken there.) Personally, in your position now, I would live and learn... and move on. :water:

Good Luck! :-D
PS:As you yourself already brought up, there might be some people who are now going to avoid any future trades with you! I myself don't see this a big problem, as I have learned to check my plants, quarantine, and deal with the unexpected. It is experiences like this that new growers need, in order to become seasoned "professionals". Either learn from others (if you can figure out ahead of time, who really knows what they are talking about, and who is an idiot!), or learn from your own experiences. :rookwoot:

If it is who i think it is, and they are the only ones i have known to use crappy packing supplies such as easter grass and newspaper in the pots and shipping plants with dead growth tips or broken growth tips etc, ive never had a good experiance with these guys, ive received the little red devils aka spider mites from them as well as freaking scale from them, not too fond of these guys and i will likely never order from that place again unless they get on the ball and start screwing new hobbyists and old ones the like over....its not a good business practice and when i sell or trade off plants, i ALWAYS check the plants for pests and ALWAYS give the plant a rinse down before sending it off ANYWHERE.
The plants always seem to come shaken up like some horrible attempt at a CP martini..

CP martini!
:-)):-)):-))

VERY FUNNY! That's exactly what it looks like!!!
Cute SirK!

I received this from a different vendor than above about a month ago. I emailed them and got no reply at all. I don't get it, but luckily I carefully check all new plants (although careful checking wasn't needed... just looking at the plant did it) and quarantine them. It's still struggling to recover. The nep I got from them looked okay, but earth worms were pouring out from the media... Think I found 6 in a small pot plus the one that was on the media when I unpacked it. Some say earthworms won't hurt anything.. but I rather them not be there.

vftbugs+_12_.jpg

huge version

lol GrowinOld glad you found that funny....we all need a good laugh after receiving plants like this from people who should know better.....

I received this from a different vendor than above about a month ago. I emailed them and got no reply at all. I don't get it, but luckily I carefully check all new plants (although careful checking wasn't needed... just looking at the plant did it) and quarantine them. It's still struggling to recover. The nep I got from them looked okay, but earth worms were pouring out from the media... Think I found 6 in a small pot plus the one that was on the media when I unpacked it. Some say earthworms won't hurt anything.. but I rather them not be there.

vftbugs+_12_.jpg

huge version

what plant was it, like the cultivar?

To me the pic simply looks like a bare root VFT, (out of focus and on its side),
coming out of cold storage.
In all fairness, without seeing the "bulb-let"/roots, it is really hard to judge,
Don't you think?

As far as worms in a Nep are concerned, if grown outdoors, anything will get worms/pillbugs and such, coming up thru the pot.
While not horrible, I certainly agree that it is DEFINITELY not something a vendor should be sending to a customer. (Unless it was bought in person, and was sitting directly on the ground, in which case it is to be expected as a possibility.)
But sending out to a customer...Not at all!
Shows blatant carelessness and especially greed!
A lot of that is making its appearance lately, if you are aware enough to see it.
Does seem that some of it has gotten very obvious however.
Sad.

To me the pic simply looks like a bare root VFT, (out of focus and on its side),
coming out of cold storage.
In all fairness, without seeing the "bulb-let"/roots, it is really hard to judge,
Don't you think?

As far as worms in a Nep are concerned, if grown outdoors, anything will get worms/pillbugs and such, coming up thru the pot.
While not horrible, I certainly agree that it is DEFINITELY not something a vendor should be sending to a customer. (Unless it was bought in person, and was sitting directly on the ground, in which case it is to be expected as a possibility.)
But sending out to a customer...Not at all!
Shows blatant carelessness and especially greed!
A lot of that is making its appearance lately, if you are aware enough to see it.
Does seem that some of it has gotten very obvious however.
Sad.

Thanks, I know its a Venus flytrap but what cultivar?

there is that attitude again Timmy....
We wont know what it is until Andy decides to come back in and answer your question seeing as hes the one who made the purchase.

(editied out)

sounded pretty sarcastic to me, since every thing else you say is sarcastic or otherwise rude.
So andy, solve this please, what cultivar of Dionaea did you get from this place?

Aphids came on thaty VFT.....great. I had a problem with apids that nearly wiped out my VFTs, so I know how bad they can be.

GrowinOld- If you can't see the problem on the small image click the link below it for the huge version. The plant is covered in aphids. The VFT is out of focus because the aphids are in focus (at least the ones int he middle of the plant on the newest growing leaf) It was purchased online not in person.

I grow no plants on the ground, and if I happen to set one there for whatever reason I have approx 2" of large rocks above triple layer weed shield above the dirt. Worms and pill bugs in my plants is not something I want to deal with, even if it isn't "bad"

Timmy- Sorry I don't think which cultivar it is really matters. And no, I won't tell you who it is even if you PM me.

Andrew

Edit: good eye exo :)

Aphids came on thaty VFT.....great. I had a problem with apids that nearly wiped out my VFTs, so I know how bad they can be.

That must have been a lot of aphids then! I have never seen aphids do more than occasional damage. o.o

Clue- look on the larger version... there are lots on it. That's not counting what jumped ship when I pulled it out of the bag...

ok, then.... did the aphids do that to those 2 blackening leaves?

Back