User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So I got a shipment of plants today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got a shipment of plants today...

Was supposed to get comp'ed on a DOA N. Spectibilis. I got this in the mail today...

Just thought I'd share a good laugh. This little contraption consists of a cup taped over a square-potted plant, with easter grass thrown in for some craps and giggles. The N. Maxima or whatever it might be is flipped sideways with it's roots smashed against the clear cup. The little guy looks pretty dehydrated.

Retail price? 14.99. I got it for free. All my other plants came in this condition and I had to repot them. They all survived, and they were really cheap but I just can't do this everytime I order now. It's heartbreaking because I have a genuine love for these please and I squeal like a little kid everytime the UPS truck comes to bring me a new package (I'm 21), and to find this among others is just gut wrenching. And to think this was growing at BE's prestigious nursery at one point in time breaks my heart.

I think it's a Maxima. It's not tagged and I thought I was getting an N. Reinwardtiana in the mail today and told everybody about it. Sigh. I'm not even going to bother. It's been almost two months.

On a side note, on Monday I got my plant from Andrew and he puts saran wrap over the soil and he placed packing peanuts under all the leaves for me! That balanced out my week so far. Thanks again Andrew for setting the bar.

I haven't even tried to take off the cups, I just don't want to look at it for a few hours before I get to nursing it. I am pretty infuriated now with all the problems from this vendor. I've taken it up with the owner and I think I'm just going to move on.

I don't want to post any other pictures because I'm just setting aside everything to take care of later tonight.

I'm not trying to whine or bad-mouth any vendors, I just wanted to express my sincere feelings of regret that these plants may have survived had they not been shipped across the country to me and could have been sold to somebody retail. I think something needs to be done to stop other people around the country from getting stuff like this. This is my 2nd shipment from them and both looked like this, except I suffered some casualties last time.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That is terrible. I can't believe the vendor sold that to you.
    It's sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea i must agree with lime, thats ridiculous... i feel bad for you and the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have no respect for life long as they make a quick buck. Or so it seems. I remember hen I ordered from Andrew 2ish years ago.. plants were healthy, packaging was great! I recommend my friends to ya Andy just so ya know!
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I removed the cup to find this little gem of a plant. It is indeed an N. Maxima, I had to compare it to the Miranda to see the difference. Maxima has the all red foliage under good lighting.

He might as well have shipped me a bareroot:

After spending the last 20 minutes getting my hands dirty, which is actually quite unexpected when buying potted plants, I found some larvae of some sort, I think they might be thrip larvae because they have black heads. So I trashed the media and sprayed down the plant and now I have this:

It's actually VERY pretty for such a common species in cultivation and I know it's easy to grow and I'd consider it not a bad buy for fifteen bucks. The plants themselves were probably nice prior to shipment. I've never seen a Maxima go completely red before. So if you live in the area or attend NECPS meetings, I would recommend them. But if you live on the west coast, I would look somewhere else.

Wish it luck guys, this little guy is probably in for a rough couple weeks while it reroots and acclimates. I watered the media with my miracle Maxsea/Superthrive solution so hopefully it'll perk up within the next couple weeks. I managed to revive dead piece of N. Spectabilis shipped to me that way.

As for the others, I'm seriously just going to try growing them outdoors. I don't really want to look at them.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your plant. I would understand the cup on a square pot but the easter grass is ridiculous. This looks like a childish game.
    Growlist

Jesse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesse whats up dude? We're friends on facebook! Nice running into you man.

Imagine a handful of easter grass, turned over by hand to mix with 50/50 peat/perlite. I will forgive them for the media since N. Maxima has no problem growing in whatever you throw it in, but the media had larvae in it.

The funny thing is, I still want an N. Reinwardtiana. I just settled for the Maxima I guess when I saw it today.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd keep it in a quarantine until you know for sure those little bugs, whatever they are, are dead and won't spread to your other plants. Maxima is a tough nugget, it should pull through. But yeah, that's a bad job.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast