0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brewing a pot as i type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, imagine if you used coffee to supplement a commericial feeding program?

Those are wicked results man, considering N. Villosa is deathly slow.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone keeping track of the amounts, concentration and frequency at which you are applying the coffee? This can vary your results as much as any fertilizer.

I am wondering if different people are sticking to one "specific method" of these variables, or if some people are just making a pot of coffee and giving the plant a cup!? (I would like to know what people have decided is the "ideal dose". Oh yea, decaf or regular?

I once worked with a woman years ago who only watered the plant on her desk with her left over coffee. I inherited it when she finally nearly killed it. (Yea, too much of anything can be a bad thing.) In this case the plant was a nice velvety gloxinia. The first time I watered it with fresh water, nearly black "coffee" came out of the bottom!

I just am throwing that out there, so people remember that even though it is just coffee, it can still be overdone.

Keep in mind, coffee or fertilizer won't make up for sub-standard growing conditions. In fact, the right conditions are needed in order for the plant to make use of the available nutrients.

Nice lookin' plants here! Can't argue with success!
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 04-16-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: incomplete/correction
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome results dvg. I've had a macro since your first pic, and wow yours has put on a tremendous amount of size in that time compared to mine. So, what's your routine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words guys,

If any of you want to do any further reading on coffee feeding, here are some of the links that got me started on coffeed Neps:

I first learned about the coffee feeding idea from this thread:

http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=6288

Here are a couple of more links dealing with this same topic:

http://lhnn.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa ... hread=2366

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~dpevans/...es/N_rajah.htm

Nightsky, I feed all of my Neps coffee about once every six months or so. And my macrophyllas are given typical highland conditions, although the one in question is kept cooler at night because it is in with the villosa, and probably grows slower than the other N. macs as a consequence.

And although i have had a bit of success with coffee feeding, i am going to begin soil feeding my Neps with low urea commercial fertilizers.

dvg

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must agree that this is single-handedly the best demonstration for promoting coffee use. Ideally, it would be amazing if there were some control plants grown beside these to actually show size differences. But either way...those are some immaculate picture-perfect specimens grown in probably the best ideal conditions a nep can want. Spectacular job!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the links.
    I am interested to see if it has any effects beyond simply supplying fertilizer components to an otherwise unfertilized plant.
    Back in the 80's or earlier (can't remember, as I'm growin' old!), people were using coffee as a fertilizer replacement (if they didn't have fertilizer on hand) for plants of every kind, as I remember from my "organic gardening" days.

I am glad people are finally accepting that it is at least somewhat "okay" to fertilize CP's of various kinds. Something a bunch of us did way back when, even though we weren't "supposed to"!
    Keep in mind that even many of today's hard fast "facts", could be disproved in the future!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    Thanks for posting the links.
    I am interested to see if it has any effects beyond simply supplying fertilizer components to an otherwise unfertilized plant.
    Back in the 80's or earlier (can't remember, as I'm growin' old!), people were using coffee as a fertilizer replacement (if they didn't have fertilizer on hand) for plants of every kind, as I remember from my "organic gardening" days.

I am glad people are finally accepting that it is at least somewhat "okay" to fertilize CP's of various kinds. Something a bunch of us did way back when, even though we weren't "supposed to"!
    Keep in mind that even many of today's hard fast "facts", could be disproved in the future!
    I actually grew no feed last year, this year I've been feeding and the plants have been going bananas. No algae or slime to report either. It even brought my LFS back to life!

The reason people are so against promoting the idea of feeding is because it does not make up for errors in cultivation. Thats what Jacob told me and his nursery secretly uses 1/4 str orchid fertilizer in the spring!

For a lot of people, they don't need the added growth though and are running out of room. I use feed as a substitute for insects because they make the pitcher fluid all gross and thick and the pitchers tend to last longer. Well the top half at least.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast