Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffeed Nepenthes Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I must agree that this is single-handedly the best demonstration for promoting coffee use. Ideally, it would be amazing if there were some control plants grown beside these to actually show size differences. But either way...those are some immaculate picture-perfect specimens grown in probably the best ideal conditions a nep can want. Spectacular job!
    Thanks vraev.

It'll be interesting to see how the plants respond to a more conventional fertilizing regimen, in the coming months.

dvg

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with it. I have always read a lot about things like maxsea fertilizer and so on. I just never wanted the additional pain of loosing plants due to too high strength fertilizer or improperly flushing out salts from the previous fertilization. The only two things I have tried are coffee (which I must say you are responsible for making it popular) and a non-urea orchid fert. Early on when I tried that fert on my older N. rajah...it stalled it and the plant never recovered. I was sick of waiting for it to grow and tossed it. However, one time and only one time... I made a dilution of the exisiting old batch in the sprayer arbitrarily and sprayed it on my lowii plantlets. Those things came alive. There is still a lot of sheet moss growth, but the lowii thrived on it. However, now I just cannot recreate that dilution. Ironic that I am doing research eh? I guess just like I make protocols and record what I do with mice, I got to record my fertilization attempts as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, I use 2tsp on all my plants now. The recommended dose, as everyone knows is 1tsp. I've used it at 1tbsp (3tsp) right off the bat which is the full dosage on my Veitchii x Platychila which was tiny at the time and it's grown stupid huge. This was it 2 weeks after I started feeding:
    http://imgur.com/1o667.jpg
    The plant now is really huge, but I lost my phone so uhh... I'll get back to anybody who wants to see.

I can tell you that JensB on the pitcher pro boards uses 1tb all the time on all his plants including helis, cephs, and some of the rarer neps including Hamata with no penalties, the guy doesn't even flush.

For the 2 months I've been using Maxsea now, I've seen no leaf curl or tip burning as expected when you stall them. I only water my plants twice a week (60 percent LFS mix) and my plants are looking great.

I think coffee has a lot of trace minerals and micro nutrients to amend a lot of the deficiencies in our Nep media so it really helps the little guys along and thats why it lasts for the 3-6 months that it does. I'm not going to drop my current feeding regimen because it works for me, but I will supplement it with coffee pours every 4 months now. The thing I'm afraid of most is the smell and the residue it'll leave in my plant trays.

Thanks for posting this thread! Your plants are really photogenic! Mine look like crap from winter as it only started getting warm in my area last week!
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I treated my Neps with coffee a month ago and the two that seemed to benifit the most are my burbidgeae, which has begun to pitcher and grow faster, and my ovata, which hadn't pitchered since last summer but has now opened one the size of my fist.

I think the coffee does help, especially with plants that don't have pitchers to catch prey with.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really have to try that Chris. I got a macrophylla which has been suffering and slow for a long time after I almost killed it by letting it dry out to a crisp for 7 days. It took since january till now for it to start moving its growth point again. I am just scared to do anything to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. I'm too scared to try coffee on my plants
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did try coffee on it. But I guess since I didn't really have a fit and healthy plant at the start point, all I can see now is algae on the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I really have to try that Chris. I got a macrophylla which has been suffering and slow for a long time after I almost killed it by letting it dry out to a crisp for 7 days. It took since january till now for it to start moving its growth point again. I am just scared to do anything to it.
    PM me if you want to pay for postage, I can mail you a couple tablespoons which should last you a few months. I know it's probably hard to come by out there.

My N. Spectabilis is the same way, once it perks up though, it'll remember how to grow fast. With my wounded plants, feeding them didn't really make them just start being healthy again, it's the healthy growing plants that really feel the kick. It does help in the root production though, which I suppose you might be liking.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast