Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sibuyanensis! Old Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New Sibuyanensis! Old Problem

Just got my new Sibuyanensis this week! But I'm affraid it's from the nursery which everyone has been bashing lately.

I'm surprised at the size of the plant, larger than promised, but not sure about the hitchhikers which may have followed. This plant seems to have heavy red spots under most of the leaves. The tops are almost untouched. I know that this species is prone to nectar spotting, but those stains are usually black, I think. Since I'm new to Nepenthes I want to put this out there.

Before I jump on the spider-mite bandwagon, what do think is causing the spotting??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meh. its similar but it doesnt look like spider mites to me. the black oval spots are nectar glands. it looks more like rust than mites. check closer and look for webbing or rub the underside of the leaf and check to see if you picked up anything off the leaves(brown specks mainly). if so then you have mites. treat with a systemic pesticide.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've dealt with spider mites, and I don't think that's what caused those spots. But, I don't know what it is for certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oy, mate this is an excellent buy and you got lucky to get it in this condition, maybe they've been listening? I was going to buy this plant, but i opted for my N Spectabilis Pangulubao instead! You should consider preemptively spraying, sometimes they like to hide in the soil for a while but I have some good plants from that nursery, and I have some bad ones. N. Sibuya is one of my favorite plants. The vendor specifically sent me an e-mail regarding a different matter but concerning this plant.

I will take a look in the greenhouse again today and see what I come up with. I'm sorry to hear about the problem with the plants upon arrival and would have liked to know about it back then. In order to follow up with our plant packers we need the feedback to we can figure out what went wrong. Regarding the spider mites, I really must say that I find it very hard to believe. Please understand that it is not because we are above having pests in the greenhouse, but rather because of what spider mites need to grow and thrive. Spider mites need dry air in order to do well and are much more common in indoor grown plants. Our greenhouse is so moist and humid that they are honestly the one pest we never see. The only pest we sometimes have an issue with is scale and that is treated on an as-needed basis because it is not too common in there either. There are actually a few other things that can cause spotting on leaves and some species of Nepenthes, i.e. sibuyanensis, are prone to developing spots for reasons we have yet to determine. We suspect it could be insufficient light. In any case, we would notice such things as we don't just have a "move 'em in and move 'em out type of operation. Spider mites also spin very noticeable webs that often cover the back of leaves and are hard to miss. Put a plant on an open windowsill in average room conditions and I can almost guarantee they will pop up pretty quickly! -Name omitted for privacy reasons
    My ventricosa does the same thing in colder weather with the red. This plant is a little tricky to get pitcher and requires a lot of patience as you might know. The nectar glands that occur on my N x Miranda are circular and have a bead of nectar coming out. I don't own a digital camera to show this but nectar glands on my plants don't tend to be that dense.

As a victim of the spider mites from their imaginary salt shaker of mites they tend to use on their plants, the spider mites didn't show up til a couple weeks later.

With the "bashing" you're speaking of, I review their shipments case by case. I've been overjoyed by the quality of some of their plants, enraged at some others. For the price point that they charge for the more rare species they have, it's really hit or miss. They've taken care of some errors they've made graciously, but considering they've been in business for like 15 years, their shipping hasn't really improved based on the probably hundreds of people who have had issues.

As member GrowinOld has taught me, if you know how to be prepared and if you quarantine your plants (which I will do), you can make do with some of the more poorly shipped plants. As your plant is more common and easy to grow, they probably were a little hardier in shipping. Jacob Farin who I have close ties with adores this plant and you will too in due time. When I talked to him about this plant

It's a lovely plant, and it's tendrils LOVE to dig from what I read. I'm not sure if this is required or not but my Talang dug into another pot while I wasn't looking and it's quite entertaining.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is rust fungus, I currently have an outbreak so I know what it looks like. Treat it with the fungicide Captan.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some spotting on sibuyanensis occurs when they aren't totally happy. I have some spotting on mine and no pitchering. When I moved them to a more intermediate condition they perked up a lot and new leaves came out and are spot free, and producing pitchers. They aren't the easiest plant to grow IMO.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. Ventricosa had this for a while, but it evetually went away... the black dots are just nectar glands incase you were wondering.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. Just to be on the safe side, I wiped the bottom of all the leaves with Bayer. I put paper under a couple of the leaves and shook, and nothing dropped, so I'm hoping this turns out to be either stress or a mild case of rust fungal infection.

I've been reading the posts which involve Sibuyans and how finicky they can be. Has anyone every tried placing a cup filled with LFS under a potential pitcher?? Maybe I'll try this with the newest leaf which opened to see if the trap settles into the moss. The cup and added humidity could help with the pitcher development.

@ Chris - I was really impressed with the size of the plant when I opened the shipping box. I bought a sibuyan about a month ago for the same price from a local nursery, and the plant doesn't even measure half the diameter of the rosette from pictured specimen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast