What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks Like a Crazy Nep Pitcher

Check this thing out, it looks like it could be a Nep, but it's not
It's a type of Aristolochia / Pipe Vine / Dutchman's Pipevine
Sorry, lost the exact name / Tying to find it

Photos~
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/577474678CeZOQm

Got two small cuttings last year
Got them rooted just before winter / When they go doormat
Wasn't sure if they were going to make it or not, but they came back nicely

First flowers are just starting to form & open
They Look Like Crazy Nep Pitchers IMO

Really Digging On This Plant

Just Thought I'd Sare
DC

All of the above names apply. There's a variety here in CA as a native wildflower.

A tropical greenhouse near here has an enormous one. It's growing a couple stories up and into the rafters, and the flowers are enormous. Yeah, they do look like huge neps. From some angles they even look like big stomachs or even lungs. Very unusual.

Last edited:
Wierd! can't believe I have never heard of those. What an interesting plant.

Nepenthes Aristolochioides was named after one of these species og the Aristolochia genus.

There are many different plants in this family. We have one that I planted several years ago that grows up on the pergola over our deck as a foodplant for the Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly. It has very small flowers that are somewhat difficult to see. Very different from the beast of a flower that you posted - amazing.

I have 3 different kinds I got as cuttings last year
That was the first one that's flowered

Seen pics but never grew any

Just totally looks like some kind of tripped out Nep pitcher

Digging on the plant

Just GOOLE Image any of these Aristolochia / Pipe Vine / Dutchman's Pipe {All the same thing}
There's a lot of different ones & a lot of them look almost like they were pitchers

Never really paid much attention to them till a buddy was looking for one and asked me if I knew anyone who had any
Then I got lucky & had a few people give me some cuttings
They seem to root pretty easily if you can get a hold of any / Use bottom heat when rooting

Back