What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Khasiana reviews

Chris_Himself

Nep'tard
Howdy yall, I have a lingering curiousity for N. Khasiana. I'm still collecting all the beginner quick growing species and I came across N. Khasiana as a recommendation from another grower. I checked NATH, but I'd like to know the interpretations from varied environments along with his outdoor growing environment. I still find it completely weird today that 10 years ago I was reading book about strictly terrarium cultivation on the species and here Joel tosses them outside in Southern California...

So could the other folks chime in with their experience and maybe pics of their plants? If I end up finding it somewhere, I'm just looking to toss it in my closet under CFL's with the rest of my highlanders.

Thanks in advance guys!

ive only had kahsiana for like 3 weeks now. its only 3-4 inches across but it hasnt skipped a beat under my care. its growing super fast... its about to unfold its 3rd leaf and is almost done inflating its first pitcher. i grow it on my west facing dorm room window with a CFL that stays on from 8 to about 4(then direct light actually starts to come in). super hardy. very pretty plant. i like it a lot.

Alex

N. khasiana LOVES strong light. It wont develop that strong red color unless you place it under some strong lights. Once it's established, stand back because it will explode with new growth and basals. I currently have 5 basals on mine and it hasn't skipped a beat. I find it to be a very fascinating plant.

N. khasiana LOVES strong light. It wont develop that strong red color unless you place it under some strong lights. Once it's established, stand back because it will explode with new growth and basals. I currently have 5 basals on mine and it hasn't skipped a beat. I find it to be a very fascinating plant.

Thats exactly what I've been told. I grow under 150w of CFL light in a 2 sq ft area so it's quite a bit of light in such a small area. So far I like what I'm hearing. I'm trying to propagate a bunch of plants at once to have some trading leverage later on, N. Khasiana will probably be a welcome addition to a lot of collections and it'll be easy for me to grow.

At 15 bucks, it's a wee bit costly, so I'll see if anybody wants to "loan" me one in exchange for my N. Gentle to babysit until I make a little more room.

How do you have 5 basals? Thats more offshoots than plant at that point dude.

I'm telling you man, khasiana in my experience is similar to gracilis or mirabilis...unstoppable lol Basals out the wazoo.

I dont mean to burst your bubble though but propagating khasiana will restrict you to trades only within your state since it is CITES restricted. Any legal trades out of your state will require a CITES permit from the USDA. If you're looking for quick propagation I'd go with Dews and Pings and do some root/leaf cuttings.

I'm telling you man, khasiana in my experience is similar to gracilis or mirabilis...unstoppable lol Basals out the wazoo.

I dont mean to burst your bubble though but propagating khasiana will restrict you to trades only within your state since it is CITES restricted. Any legal trades out of your state will require a CITES permit from the USDA. If you're looking for quick propagation I'd go with Dews and Pings and do some root/leaf cuttings.

That only applies if the plant is native to the country it is being shipped in, for the U.S that would mean endangered U.S sarrs.

The only restrictions on khasiana would be shipping it between COUNTRIES.

Sorry french but your completely mistaken.

A. CITES is only applicable for wild collected specimens, and they don't grow here and were legally imported long ago.

B. You can pretty much ship heroin if it's not labeled as such from state to state, though I don't recommend shipping contraband!

That only applies if the plant is native to the country it is being shipped in, for the U.S that would mean endangered U.S sarrs.

The only restrictions on khasiana would be shipping it between COUNTRIES.

Duh! Hence the title Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
:blush::blush: My mistake! Thanks for the correction Exo and justjack. In that case I know what the next auction item will be ;)

As far as growing them goes, they like very bright light and will grow in very cool temps but will also tolerate lowland temps too.

I've wanted this one for a loooooooooooonng time.

I grow khasiana in full blazing South Florida sun ALL year long with my Sarracenia. Along with alata, it is one of the most tolerant Neps. Not that it matters to you, but khasiana certainly does not mind lowland conditions. I wish more highlanders/intermediates had its versatility.

Manny do you have pics of your sun drenched Khasi? I live in CA, so the likelyhood of them surviving out there is pretty slim. I'm considering doing a plug tray outside under this tree I have outside that gets direct morning light + filtered light for the rest of the day. It's a perfect spot. I have an Alata I moved out there back in march and it actually is growing better out there then my controlled climate indoors.

This review thread idea is seriously killer, it's helped me out a lot.

Ok so I'll PM around to see if I can do a local trade for one in my area. They're pretty rare though. You guys have been great.

Yann, let me know when you have some to share! My khasiana reached 8 inches in diameter but died unexpectedly. It was the only large plant like that that I'd lost........ very good plant, though. I'd recommend it to any Nepenthes grower, because it's quick growing and quite pretty.

I've heard k hasiana is among the most cold hardy of Neps.

Exo, what LL conditions did you provide?

I've heard k hasiana is among the most cold hardy of Neps.

Exo, what LL conditions did you provide?

Not me, a friend of mine that lives in Miami Florida has one that he grows outside all year. Durring most of the year his conditions are pretty much what one would consider highland, and it grows right next to his bical.

Back