What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About sexual propagation..

hi everyone...
I believe that my N.ventrata is flowering... I try to find some images but i cant find anyone when the flower stem is "just appearing" (i mean, to compare with mines) ... in a few minutes i will upload some photos of mines..

here is the question... this n.ventrata is a clon... like the others thousand of N.ventratas here in Argentina.. they are all from the same plant (believe it) so the sex is the same in all of them right?

can they change its sex by stress or some factor? (like some plants; they could be females but if they suffers some hard stress they become hermafrodits or even, all male)

do you understand what i am asquing? is not a simple question to write in other lenguaje for me :blush:

Individual nepenthes have a set sex and cannot change that sex under any circamstance. If a certain plant is cloned, then it's clones are exactly the same sex.

I do understand what you are asking,
however I do not know of any Nepenthes that have changed or expressed both sexes.

I also am concerned that the clones and TC plants via cloning gives amateur breeders a problem, as indeed all the plants sold and distributed then are all the same sex. To me, there often seems to be mostly males around, as I hear a lot more people looking to match with a female. Not all of course, but I am concerned about this becoming a problem. (Growing from unaltered seed insures a good variety of males and females.)

It would be good to experiment to find a way to get the plants to be fertile hermaphrodites!

Necessity is the mother of invention!

Hi Feder,

Yes you are correct in assuming that a stressed Nepenthes plant can produce both male and female flowers on the very same plant. Here is a link:

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/list/cp00all.d/2533.htm

It is possible that with the right concentration of certain plant hormones that hermaphroditism in Nepenthes could be consistently achieved, but no one is currently acknowledging that success yet.

dvg

I've heard of a female plant in a species with imperfect flowers to produce strictly female pollen under hormones, and strictly female seeds. I don't know about actually changing sex, but plants are amazing things... It certainly seems possible.

Great! its great to know this... but first i have to know if it is a female.. or even! if it is flowering!

Here is a picture of him/her...
is it flowering?
100_7149.jpg

thats definitely not a healthy normal flower so its hard to tell, and to answer your question about changing sex
There has been a couple of cases, both unproven, of a persons nep that has flowered male then flowered female, i dont remember exactly where i read it, it blew my mind.....
But in any given circumstance, excluding these 2 or so unproven cases that ive read about, they are a set gender, male or female, and if i recall, there are several clones of ventrata that are female, and some that are male, im not sure where the clones in argentina originated so i cant really put much say into it....

You could always ask the seller if the parent plant was male or female...

well that could work, but if he bought the plant from a market or store, that might be a wee bit difficult ;)

Is impossible to ask the seller, here in Argentina there aren´t great sellers of CP...
They all sell basic especies, no more than 8 droseras, 5 sarracenias and 3 nepenthes... (just one have a good sell list but is so freaking expensive ) this clon has been growing in Arg (and propagating by asexual way) since arround 1990... anyway...

So dont look like a healthy flower? (is just starting to grow!) at leats is a flower right?

They look like new growth points to me.

xvart.

:-(
do someone else think the same?

has someone have a photo of a nep just flowering to compare?

Yeah but i need photos of the begining of the flowering, not very development..
but its okay... i guess i would know if we are speaking about new growing points or a flower stem

Thanks people!

Back