What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some small easy Neps?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I have a Nepenthes "death cube" from Lowes that I bought a few months ago. It's currently in my mini-greenhouse on the patio, but it's getting too big and it's size is blocking out light to my other plants.

I want to replace it with a smaller Nepenthes that's easy to grow. Any suggestions?

Glabrata is a nice easy nep that stays small. I also found Argentii to be an easy plant. Theres also Nepenthes Campanulata as well.

You might have a Ventricosa or ventrata, you don't need to grow those in a a mini greenhouse, you can grow them in your yard or in a sunny window, Like I grow mine.

Anyways N101 has made some nice suggestions. Although Glabrata requires good himidity to pitcher or tendril restingon moss.

I'd say campanulata is the safest bet, maybe N. Belli

I have a Nepenthes "death cube" from Lowes that I bought a few months ago. It's currently in my mini-greenhouse on the patio, but it's getting too big and it's size is blocking out light to my other plants.

I want to replace it with a smaller Nepenthes that's easy to grow. Any suggestions?

Take it out of the mini-greenhouse and experiment with it. :poke:

There's no reason to replace a thriving Nep!

Take it out of the mini-greenhouse and experiment with it. :poke:

There's no reason to replace a thriving Nep!

It's not exactly thriving. It's producing new leaves, but it's very boring.

Also, the Nepenthes Death Cube has small teeth, like a Singalana.

But I need something smaller for the greenhouse

...but it's very boring.

If you want entertainment, I'd say find more hobbies. Plants are plants. They don't grow for people's entertainment (or at least in most cases).

I have had faith in many of my "boring" Nepenthes that wouldn't pitcher for months and months, but sooner or later, they started to pitcher and grow vigorously...

...but anyways, this is all :offtopic: ...

whistling.gif

Smaller Nepenthes are generally far and in between because of their habitats, which can be quite shady, so they grow as large, scrambling vines. Even the smaller species can get pretty large in time (glabrata and bellii can get pretty stringy and tall) and even campanulata can get pretty tall (next time you're talking with Nepenthes101/Mike, ask for some pics of his campy... it's one beast of a plant). I'd say it's best just to move your Nep out of the mini-greenhouse and experiment with it. Who knows what it might do? There's only one way to find out.

campanulata hands down. glabrata stays somewhat small but has a beastly vining stage.
just to note though, although campanulata is small in comparison to many other neps, it can reach the diameter of a small watermelon. just a heads up.

I know this is thinking a bit out of the box, so to speak,
but you could try putting a Ceph in it, so long as it has drainage and the right environment (for a ceph).
I mention it because it will stay small and looks similar to a mini-Nep!

Just a thought.

(The cubes are nice looking little "greenhouse" sort of things, it is just a matter of finding something that will survive in them. They are like little ovens in the sun!)

I know this is thinking a bit out of the box, so to speak,
but you could try putting a Ceph in it, so long as it has drainage and the right environment (for a ceph).
I mention it because it will stay small and looks similar to a mini-Nep!

Just a thought.

(The cubes are nice looking little "greenhouse" sort of things, it is just a matter of finding something that will survive in them. They are like little ovens in the sun!)

I've thought about a Ceph, but I have one that is growing really well on my bedroom windowsill and I'm afraid that if I move it to the patio, it will be exposed to the elements and die or something.

I guess I'll start some cuttings and once I get a rooted cutting, I'll place that in the greenhouse

Back