What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what insect is on my truncata

it is about the size of this period "." and there are about 8 of them on the base of its only developing pitcher. they are all black with a circular body and they have a segmented head with very tiny antenea it seems. what can i do, and what are they?

Do they hop when you poke em? If so, springtails.

Are they small and flutter their wings when they walk? If so, most likely fungus gnats.

Regardless of what they could be, most if not all pyrethrin based insectides will eliminate any pests and keep on eliminating for weeks/months on afterwards when applied using the directions. I personally used a Neem + Pyrethrin product to get rid of a spider mite and fungus gnat problem in the media, the gnat adults just fell prey to the dews I brought in. They still come back every now and then because I have a lot of house plants, but they linger and never quite build up a population anymore since my media is hostile towards the larvae.

no they dont jmp or fly, where can i puurchase neem?

edit.....i checked today and they do jump. where can i buy neem?

they jump so they are spring tails
you dont need neem
you cannot get rid of them LOL
they are of no harm to your plants, and regardless of how often you kill one generation, there will always be more since they are EVERYWHERE

Seems to me that if some terrestrial bladderwort could evolve enough to eat all sizes of spring tails and in great quantities, it could live like a king and be guaranteed a position in everyone's collection! Now is that asking too much? :banana2:

They're great food for baby dews, rather than needing tiny ants.

my collection is full of globular and elongated springtails. As others mentioned, they are 'almost' impossible to get rid of. And in my opinion, they seem to be very important in controlling algae and other unwanted decomposing material. Unfortunately, thanks to the last insecticide application that I performed, I did loose a lot of them in my nepenthes collection and still waiting for their numbers to spike back up. I do still see them around once in a while.

Back