Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Highland Nepenthes Temp drop

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    yes i grow an N. rajah, and im pretty sure David (BigBella) got a rajah from me some time ago....its quite picky and does not like lowland temps at all.....so far mine seems to be doing rather well for a change though XD

there are several others on here who have a rajah, its not a rare plant, just hard to grow...
    Yeah, I got one from you a while back ; and between cool nights and dousing it with espresso, I have real hope that it'll take care of the neighbor's shrieking cat some time soon . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol its doing well for you then david? thats awesome
    my temps are 60-75 days (bipolar northwest weather) and 40-50 at night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow SK thats a big drop and thats all done by your natural climate?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grown outside in a greenhouse lol yep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for you, seeing as you have pretty good highland conditions even outdoors, how do they fair and do u find that lowlanders are more difficult for you?

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Also they sell dry ice at publix and other supermarkets like that. not sure how much it is over there tho.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lowlanders outdoors, definitely yes they are difficult, even some intermediates, but most of my plants are highland and do just fine, last year in the greenhouse, they absolutely loved it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried a variety of cooling methods including ice, and trust me, changing that ice everyday will get old real fast.

Most growers probably have a wine celler or basement that stays cool, but I settled for a more expensive option of using a 1/15hp aquarium chiller and a small cpu radiator. It works wonders, the day/night temps are 24/12C, and it can get much colder if I wanted. Without the cooling mechanism, the T5 lights in my tank will make the day/night temps of over 30/24C (night temps is room temp). My tank size is 50 gallons, but a larger tank can probably be used since my chiller isn't even working at max capacity.

I have also seen attempts with peltiers, but they only do something to very small tanks.

Of course, the major con again is definitely cost. It will put you back like $500 canadian for the chiller, the aquarium pump, the tubing (from home depot) and the radiator (from ebay).

chiller and bucket to catch condensation from tubing

Cooled terrarium. Black thing is radiator with cpu fan. Circuitry controls the fan, cooling only happens with the fan is on so you can do some feedback with a temperature sensor to keep the day/night temps at specific levels (I chose 24/12C).

And I can't miss an opportunity to show off my rajah ;D (click for larger sizes)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea its completely opposite for me thats why im staying away from highlanders, sticking to ll and hybrids. no job, so no way of cost efficiently cooling terrarium down enough for HL.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

And Z very nice rajah. see you just further solidified my reason to stay away from HL. 500$ is too much.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast