What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland Nepenthes Temp drop

Move to an air conditioned apartment, thats how I keep my temps!

We are moving to an apartment, but I am only 12 and my parents can't stand the cold. In the summer it can get up to 82 degrees inside, for them 74 is too cold, but I'm not worried about the heat.
Would this work? I put a layer of sphagnum moss (would it be better live or dead?) on the bottom of the terrarium, put some ice/dry ice above the plant, and put a computer fan on top so it blows on top of the plant from above? I could also use a block of ice and put it above the plant so as it melts the cool water drips on the plant.

Hmm....u gotta be careful about hanging dry ice. Considering that i get my hands on a lot of dry ice in my lab (due to antibodies, research reagents being shipped in dry ice), I brought home two boxes of dry ice on two occassions. Firstly...dry ice is extremely cold even for plant. I have placed dry ice on live sphagnum and it killed it instantly. Secondly...if u think u will hang dry ice in a mesh like basket...once it sublimes...the piece will eventually fall down on the plant. Recognize that plants don't like somehting that is like -10C either. So...thats the concern with dry ice...if plants touch it durectly...I am sure you will have some tissue death due to prolonged exposure.

i have commenced testing air con + humidifier just now. temps initially were 81F. Right after 5-10 min of air con output directly facing into the tank, temps dropped down to 69F. I will test it all night tonight and see how low temps can go down. It might be a painful every night change thing...but atleast its the cheapest way until I figure out moving to a central air conditioned apartment in september.

Thanks, let me know about the results.
I'm worried about the the fan drying out the plant, since I don't have a humidifier. Money is tight these days and I don't think my parents will let me buy one since most are >$45

Just wait on it for now. There are other plants that you can grow that will be easier. I hate how grown-up this is going to make me sound, but you should consider getting a paper route or mowing lawns or some other amateur job and just save for a while. Cooling a terrarium is not easy or cheap and you won't be able to do it just on a whim. If you can take some extra chores from your parents and save just $5 a week, by the end of the year you'll have over $150, which should be enough to buy a quality air conditioner with a built-in thermostat if you shop around during the off season. I don't know how your parents are, but back when I was your age showing responsibility went a long way with mine. If you make an investment your parents may be impressed by your dedication and want to help you get further into the hobby.
Speaking as someone who usually puts things together from scraps, the air conditioner is the really hard part in this type of setup. You're going to have to buy it, one way or the other. Other parts, like a terrarium, can be found cheap or even for free if you do a lot of searching. Ask your parents if you can hunt around on Craigslist for free items; every once in a while people will give away totally good aquariums and other stuff just so long as someone comes and hauls it off. You can at the very least find good tanks that way.
~Joe

Aircon can do the job well. In our low land green house, to achieve HL condition, we use Aircon.
Live Sphagnam as substrate is good. increase the humidity and to indicate the water condition.
But if you are growing neps in a tank, make sure you get a big tank. With the right condition, neps can out grown your tank in no time:)

seedjar, thanks for the advice :)
Yeah I'm using a small aquarium, but rajah grows slowly, so it'll last.

Believe me, with the right condition, rajah do grow as fast once it settle down:boogie:

my rajah grows at a pretty steady pace now, and will hopefully resume pitchering now that its back in ultrahighland conditions...

Ok, thanks
the ice obviously didn't work, so I'm experimenting with a computer fan to see if that works.
Anyone know if the "Aerogarden" lights are good for growing neps?

Last edited:
Can i skip a few days of night temperature drop tho?

Just curious SK, where in the NW are you? I am just south of Seattle.

Back