Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Nepenthes questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Devon...I don't have any of those species...(except ramispina), but if I can suggest something...wait till the end of summer man. Especially for windowsill growing, you realize temps are rising very much now in canada. Those plants will not like the hot night temps. Just wait till autumn and you can grow any of those (stenophylla..if I had to choose) with considerable success.
    Copelandii and maxima don't seem to care about warm temps....not one bit.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @vreav: damn.... what about the summer after? would they do better since they would be grown in more?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup! Exo, you may be right. Sorry...as I said I don't have those in my collection. But just on the basis that they are highlanders and he plans to grow them on the windowsill...I Just feel...if he is living in a non-airconditioned house, those plants wouldn't like burning up in the summer heat that is coming ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Yup! Exo, you may be right. Sorry...as I said I don't have those in my collection. But just on the basis that they are highlanders and he plans to grow them on the windowsill...I Just feel...if he is living in a non-airconditioned house, those plants wouldn't like burning up in the summer heat that is coming ahead.
    Copelandii and most forms of maxima are more like intermediates.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devon, you gotta take some readings man. Invest in one of those nice thermometer/hygrometer combo units on ebay or get the exoterra one (The one I use). You can get readings of maximum/minimum temps/humidity at a location. THis way, you can do your homework before getting a plant.

Another option: depending on how small the plant you get, you can grow it in a small 2.5 - 5 gallon tank and believe me.... for that size...ice packs work very very well in cooling down.

Also, this is how I successfully grew many highland neps for 2 yrs: greenhouse enclousure...ice packs (basically frozen water bottles) suspended on the shelf above the neps. Cold air falls...so, grow the highlanders close to the floor, place cold frozen bottles. Works very well. I had a pic of that somewhere...must be on my other laptop back at home. I had successfully grown a villosa that way even through the summer. This a perfect affordable idea if you want to get into highland neps. This greenhouse is only 30$ from canadian tire..and if you can manage to persuade your parents... you can do very very well with it for atleast a couple of years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev, thanks for your wonderful suggestion.. but I want windowsill neps. Plus, I'm completely outta space for more grow set ups and my mom, and especially not my dad.. wouldn't let me get another set up and put it somewhere else.

and I do have A/C, would that help?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...AC should be great man. But remember...u need a "DELTA" in the temperature for most highland species. I mean day temps should be a bit higher than night temps. This temperature zone can be larger or smaller depending on the "pickiness" of each species. But generally speaking, since I grow mostly highland-UHL species, I would consider 75-80F is perfect day temps and 55F-65F as perfect night temps. Now for plants like villosa, they need the lower extremes in those ranges....but..you're not looking at that right now anyways...so lol.... would you be able to manage a temperature change from day to night? If its direct facing towards the sun, the plant should get warmed up a bit... so.... as I said...we can't say until you actually take some readings. That should be your priority. ALthough...I never did grow neps on the windowsill (apart from a ventrata nearly 3y + ago), so perhaps Daniel and others here can help you more with their experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright.. well I'm taking readings of the temps right now, and later tonight.. so we'll see what's going on so far. Thanks for you halp.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast