What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do nep roots grow straght down?

• Thread starter Timmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow

Timmy

BANNED
do they?

It depends on the species, but many of them do grow straight down.

thx, ampullaria?

so does this mean the deeper the pot the better right?

looks like were waiting to find out :)

thx, ampullaria?

amp roots go downward, but they do spread outward a bit as they age.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

so does this mean the deeper the pot the better right?

In most cases, yes, especially for young plants that arent making basals yet.

amp roots go downward, but they do spread outward a bit as they age.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

In most cases, yes, especially for young plants that arent making basals yet.

Do you have pics of ampullaria roots or nep roots.

Do you have pics of ampullaria roots or nep roots.

No, I tend to try and get my plants in the soil as quick as possible and have never really thought about taking pics.....maybe someone else on the forum does? ???

They grow in a ball, but it really varies species to species. Amp and Bical roots are massive and completely different than what you can expect from an Alata or Maxima but they're the same consistency.

Courtesy of Sunbelle

They're rather delicate and think of them as sewing thread and not wires like on other plants.

Timmy, if you're considering buying an Ampullaria, please reconsider. Them bad boys' don't take kindly to any cultivation errors. They're very expensive, require a fair mount of heat/humidity, and you would be much happier with a highlander based on what you tell us about your conditions.

I think they're awesome and beautiful plants and I understand the charm as well, but they're very expensive to keep and critically more difficult than your average plant.

Start a thread on nep suggestions! We'd be glad to help man.

Timmy, if you're considering buying an Ampullaria, please reconsider. Them bad boys' don't take kindly to any cultivation errors. They're very expensive, require a fair mount of heat/humidity, and you would be much happier with a highlander based on what you tell us about your conditions.

I think they're awesome and beautiful plants and I understand the charm as well, but they're very expensive to keep and critically more difficult than your average plant.

Start a thread on nep suggestions! We'd be glad to help man.

Are you nuts?!?! Most amps are cheap as dirt!!!! :0o:

Not hard either, but they do need it hot and humid.

Ditto, Exo. Can people PM me places to get an amp?

Are they really? I'm sorry I'm a little far behind, two years ago the average price for an Amp was like 40-60 bucks for a medium sized plant. I'm a little behind.

I don't think Timmy owns any Neps dude. I have limited experience on lowlanders but the average beginner probably will not have the facilities to make them work.

I've seen the kind of Ampullaria people get on ebay/terrarium places for cheap though and they need to be pampered until they kick off.

My amps are in the mail

You ordered an Amp in two minutes?!! When I used to slack off at work I'd shop for plants for like 2 hours before sending in the order. Take plenty of pics when it comes in!

ok

Nep roots grow down and out, in like what others said, a "ball". some neps such as rajah, bical, ampullaria, and a few others get super massive rootballs that generally call for the plant to be "overpotted" since coincidentally enough, these are the plants that seem to throw the biggest fuss about being repotted, especially bical and rajah....so im not sure what the size of the plants are that you are receiving, but if they are rather small id say start them out in a 6" pot and go from there, ampullaria are very fast growing species, so if your conditions are ideal for them, be prepared to have to cut the plant back and do a repot in a year or so to a 10 gallon or more sized plant to accommodate for basal growth and root growth, because they will spread...

My clone 2 wistuba hamata grew a dense network of roots in the top layer ONLY. It basically avoided the entire regular media layer. When I repotted it...all I got was a mass of roots that was connected to the live sphagnum layer. So yeah...depends on species to species.

My clone 2 wistuba hamata grew a dense network of roots in the top layer ONLY. It basically avoided the entire regular media layer. When I repotted it...all I got was a mass of roots that was connected to the live sphagnum layer. So yeah...depends on species to species.

This has been my experience with most my neps. It led to me ditching the live sphagnum top dressing altogether as they became root infested.

Neps do not form a tap root if that is what you are asking. Like a carrot or a ceph. It is a fibrous root (a complex system of smaller root structures). Like grass.

Back