What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Anyone Else Excited For This?!

• Thread starter lizasaur
  • Start date
i never used the "eye" for any of my scientific names: moorii, lowii, etc, until i realized that pronouncing the "eye" helped me remember that there were two i's in the name--very useful in lab practicums where spelling counts, especially if you are trying to differentiate from other scientific names that end in "i" such as leleupi, dubousi, and hubbsi . that's really the only reason why i pronounce the "i's" now.

I suspect much depends on the nationality of the person. I have heard low-ee-eye from English speaking people. I say low-ee myself, but then the letter -i is pronounced differently in my language.

Regards,

Christer

Now it is being at a CP meeting and finding out that all of my self determined pronounciations have been way off all along.
This seems to be the norm. Some will make a big deal out of it but most just let it pass. As with this discussion on how to pronounce Lowii, many of the names often have 2 ways most people pronounce them with several outlier versions people create. Then there's some real 'out-there' pronunciations that are pretty impressive... :-O

Out of interest... does anyone here pronounce, or has heard anyone pronounce, the word radii as ra·di, rather than ra·di·i? Presumably the same would apply with the pronunciation of this word as that of lowii.

im pretty much under the idea that anything ending with ii for latin names is going to be pronounced the same way...
lowii
attenboroughii
argentii
belii
copelandii
kerrii
klossii
lamii
pitopangii
smilesii
thorelii
veitchii
vieillardii
vogelii
...i think that covers all of those as far as neps go...lol

In my micro class last fall we learned about Propionobacterium shermanii and it was pronounced sherman-ee-eye

im pretty much under the idea that anything ending with ii for latin names is going to be pronounced the same way...
lowii
attenboroughii
argentii
belii
copelandii
kerrii
klossii
lamii
pitopangii
smilesii
thorelii
veitchii
vieillardii
vogelii
...i think that covers all of those as far as neps go...lol

Yeah, take it from a kid who did a dime in Catholic school, you're right. The flip side though,, was that taking Latin was like having crib notes in college. Cmon, foramen magnum, for example, simply means a "big hole." No imagination there. Oh, and it's octopuses, not "octopi" -- bad Latin . . .

What could be more better?

This seems to be the norm. Some will make a big deal out of it but most just let it pass. As with this discussion on how to pronounce Lowii, many of the names often have 2 ways most people pronounce them with several outlier versions people create. Then there's some real 'out-there' pronunciations that are pretty impressive... :-O

Sound's like a pretty fun competition to have at a CP Meeting.

So, evidently everyone is excited... about hijacking homeboy's thread LOL.

This pronunciation is kids stuff. How in Hades do you pronounce Aristolochioides?
I hate spelling it as much as the 3 or 4 pronunciations I have rambling in my head.

Aristo - loki - oi - i - deez (heh, heh, heh . . .)

Aristo - loki - oi - i - deez (heh, heh, heh . . .)

Hahahaha! Sorry BB (Dave I think?) but that's more vowel sounds than vowels in the word!
:-))

What if the ch makes a sh sound? aristo-la-shwods? Kidding, I'm sure that's not the case.
I always figured the last e was silent though.
My best guess is aristo-low-key-oyds.
Feel free to make fun of my guess as well, I mean this in the best of spirits.
I even sipped a few! ;)

I say "ah-riss-toh-loh-key-oh-eye-dees".

I tend to take Latin vowel-by-vowel.

a wrist, a lock, ee, oy, deez.
a rist o loch i oi des.
aristolochioides

Oh eee oh, ohh oh! Oh eee oh, ohh oh!

*snicker

I say "ah-riss-toh-loh-key-oh-eye-dees".

I tend to take Latin vowel-by-vowel.

I don't much of anything about Latin, which nobody seems to know the rules to. Strange since it's the base to so many languages. In fact, you would think the linguists would get together, make up their minds, and come up with a set of rules for pronunciation. At least this consortium of people pronouncing together could at least give us some verbage to work with. Some would always argue, but...

So, I'll ask you LSP, do you not consider vowels next to each other, in Latin, to take on combined pronunciation like in English and Spanish (Latin based)? Just asking.

Nepenthes A-Word. You can tell I would sound pro at any CP meetings

Back