What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Anyone Else Excited For This?!

• Thread starter lizasaur
  • Start date
What exactly on the website are you referring too?

N. Merilliana x Lowii I think?

Now is it LOW-eye, or LOW-wee-eye? I thought it was the 2nd one, Peter corrected me and said it was the first one.

The N. Lowii x Vent looks very very promising. Now if only I can have that whole having money thing figured out...

Chris is right- the new hybrid, yes.

Hmm... Stewart Mcpherson says Low-wee-eye, so does Rob Cantley. Mnay people say the seond one is the right one, or whats the point of the second i, if not?

Maybe so it's not Low-wee.

Either way, I could not afford that shizzle in a million years, but dang they are nice plants.

Im getting one in about 10 days!

Now is it LOW-eye, or LOW-wee-eye? I thought it was the 2nd one, Peter corrected me and said it was the first one.
I believe that it is LOW-ee-eye (ˈloʊ.i.aɪ/)

Lol. Chris: 1, Peter: 0. But then again, his nursery, he can call them whatever he wants. He's the boss. He could call it a redwood for all it matters.

I saw N x Peter D Amato at the nursery, although it's not making the biggest pitchers this year due to weather fluctuations in the northern part of my state this year, it's still a very impressive plant from what I get in pictures.

Last edited:
Man.... I've been saying Lowee for the majority of my life.....

I thought the 2nd I was a long vowel, which would make it LOW -*long E* - *long I*. Same applies to D. burmanii, N. copelandii... at least IMO :p

Borneo Exotics says Low-wee-eye. Thats at the top of the chain. I'm sticking to my guns lol.

Well, in high school the worst nightmare was being in class with only underwear on.

Now it is being at a CP meeting and finding out that all of my self determined pronounciations have been way off all along. LOL. I have always thought it was Low-ee. Don't ask how I pronouce some of the others or I will have to change my forum name to cleatus - the slack jawed yokel.

That merilliana pitcher is insane! The lowii x merilliana is nice too, but I am more smitten by the merilliana.

Yeah, I felt pretty ganked when I was like, "Hey Peter wheres that hybrid named after you with Low-wee-eye in it?"

"It's Low-wee"

Lol.

But yeah that hybrid looks epic, Lowii hybrids have now just moved way high on my want list.

Is that a ten liter pitcher?

I don't really think the N. rajah has the biggest pitchers... it's just how long you can grow it...:rolleyes:

for the first year i was growing these things i always thought it was Low-ee too, dont feel bad xD
when i found out it was Low-e-eye, i was like thats a strange name wth lol

I say low-ee-eye

N. Merilliana x Lowii I think?

Curiosity got the better of me, so I contacted the Cambridge Dictionaries Online team for their opinion on which pronunciation is correct.

Here is their reply:
Thank you for your enquiry regarding pronunciation. Our Senior Commissioning Editor has advised that this is a latinized form of the surname Low, and would say Low - ee - eye, as in radii. However, he also says that, being Latin, there is probably no right or wrong answer here!

Best wishes,

The Dictionaries Online team

Proper latin would dictate "low-ee-eye" and that may sound slightly different from people having various accents.

@mobile- I keep hearing there is no right or wrong pronunciation, along with a "correct" way to say latin names. Why are different pronunciations appropriate if there is a rule for them, such as the "ii" suffix = "ee-eye?"

Back