What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hamata seedling . . .

Here is just one example from a March 2009 crop of Nepenthes hamata seeds from Queensland, which, initially, were germinated in plugs of milled sphagnum moss and horticultural sand (a great mix to avoid "damping off" disease from Phtophthora and Pythium fungi) and later replanted -- plug and all -- in a compost of live sphagnum, pumice, perlite, and charcoal. Half of the batch had been treated with dilute GA3 (gibberllic acid) to encourage germination of potentially valuable and stubborn seeds, the balance allowed to sprout on their own. There was little difference in terms of germination rate this time around; though that is not always the case with highland Nepenthes . . .

Nepenthes hamata -- 31 May
NH211-14-53.jpg

Last edited:
aww.. wook at da widdle bitty hamata!

Where on earth did you get hamata seeds?!? :0o:

Where on earth did you get hamata seeds?!? :0o:

An ex-girlfriend still willing to speak to me and some old friends in Queensland and Japan where I spent a good deal of time a life ago . . .

seriously Davis, i wish i had cool friends/ex-girlfriends like you. sigh......

It helps to know where the bodies are buried . . .

David

That's why that backyard bog keeps getting bigger each year.

Nice hamata seedling David.

dvg

That's why that backyard bog keeps getting bigger each year.

Nice hamata seedling David.

dvg

Thanks . . .

Remember though that too much nitrogen will kill those creepy plants . . .

Very nice Hamata seedlings. How quickly do Hamata seeds germinate for you?

as always no surprise BigB..... you manage to obtain the rarest of rare seeds. Congratulations. Did you fertilize that fella? It seems to have grown a heck of a to get to that size within an year.

Thanks . . .

Remember though that too much nitrogen will kill those creepy plants . . .

A good bog liner is worth it's weight in gold.;)

dvg

as always no surprise BigB..... you manage to obtain the rarest of rare seeds. Congratulations. Did you fertilize that fella? It seems to have grown a heck of a to get to that size within an year.

Thanks, though there was an outside possibility that the plants were N. tentaculata in error back in 2009; but that's definitely not the case.

The seedlings all received 1/4 strength 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer shortly after germination (along with the adult plants) and biweekly for most of last year and this Spring.

I had hoped to get at least one on the NASC auction but didn't think anything at the time was capable of being safely shipped. Maybe next year . . .

Back