What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOO!! Mealy Bugs on my beloved raff!! :(

:-(

Hello everyone... terrible news. D: D: D:

My raff, that has been doing so well has been infested with mealy bugs. :(

There are onyl a few small ones I can see on the leaves, but they are still there.. I have heard stories of nepenthes dying from these guys.

PLEASE help. I wouldn't mind repotting the plant, because I plan on putting it in a hanging basket anyway.

THANKS.

Devon, if you can please post a photo of the plant and pests.

okay, I'll take some now.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

036.JPG

039.JPG

they're hard to see, but they're definately there. I'm worried that there might be a bunch of bugs in the soil that I can't see...

First of all....take immediate measures. Seperate the plant from others. Use alcohol pick off any you can. Try going to the garden center and get anything for mealy bugs and bomb those guys. Don't take pests easily....I have had a terrible experience with them for not being prompt when I noticed them.

thanks, I'll ask if I can go the the nusery tomorrow. I'll repot and seperate from other plants as soon as I can... like right now.

Use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to kill all visible mealy bugs.

Looks like a good time to try the CO2 method on them. It's completely safe for the plant and people & often actually acts like a type of fertilizer.

Never had any problems with them on my Neps
But they do like to attack my Huernia & Stapelia

I spray the plants with a mix of dish soap & a few drops of cooking oil in water
Spray every few days till they're gone

Can't Say If There Would Be a Problem Spraying Neps With That Mix Or Not / Have Never Tried It
{Anyone???}

As Far "As I Know" It "Should" Be Safe To Do So
Have never had any problems with spraying the mix on other plant
&
I know they use it on organic veggies

Good luck
DC

I've used a imidacloprid based pestice on some of my neps without any ill effects.
The plants i used it on were sanguinea, ventrata and rebecca soper.
I used it at maybe 35% strength.
Some dews i used it on didnt like it though.
Maybe that's worth looking into.

It looks like your plant may also have spider mites, the little orange/red specs in the reddish spot on the leaf. Do a lot the leaves have spots like this? If they do you should verify that there are (or aren't) spider mites by shaking some leaves over a white piece of paper, or by wiping the undersides of the leaves with a q-tip. If little red specs come off then it's probably mites. You should be able to observe them moving with a high magnification magnifying glass, they are very hard to see but can cause a lot of damage to your plants if an infestation goes unchecked. If you find that your nep. has spider mites it should be isolated from your other plants and treated with a miticide until they have been brought under control, this may take several treatments as some miticides only kill mites in a certain stage of their life cycle. I had a mite infestation that caused damage to all of my neps and orchids before I even noticed it, they can travel easily between plants especially when they are in close proximity, as was in my case. I used Malathion to get rid of the spider mites on my plants.

036.JPG

Back