Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N. Truncata updates please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. Truncata updates please?

So I searched and lurked some old N. Truncata threads and as you all know, I just bought one recently and it's rather small so if you guys had some time, could you post pics of your guys' Truncata?

+5 points for telling me a little about your particular plant and how it's grown for you and how long til my plant can produce thumb sized pitchers?

Mine =(:

Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my Pasian Highlander -- no larger than yours when I received it, wilted and uprooted from the pot in which it was poorly shipped. I immediately disposed of the compost they (a New England dealer of ill repute -- never again) were growing it in (some anaerobic, foul-smelling cypress crap -- think rotten eggs or sanitary sewer), soaked it for an hour in Superthrive®, opted for live sphagnum, pumice, perlite, charcoal, and never looked back.

Inside of eighteen months, it was sporting 10-15 cm (3.9 - 6") pitchers; and most are now well over 25 cm (10"); and it is simply grown on a South-facing windowsill above my kitchen sink. The N. truncata receives biweekly orchid fertilizer (30:10:10) and I decided to dump coffee into it back in March to some success . . .

Nepenthes truncata (Pasian Highland)
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Pasian was also about the size of yours when I got it two years ago, now it is much bigger and starting to make 10in pitchers....

I find that mine is happiest in a sunny south window durring the cold months and when the night temps get above 50F I move it outside to an area that gets dappled sun. I have mine planted in a mix of 3 parts pine mulch, 1 part charcoal, and 2 parts small lava rock chunks.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful truncata BigBella...especially with that gorgeous striped peritome.

I received a Pasian highland last year in April. It was a small plant when I first got it, but it is now making about 8" tall pitchers.

Chris, once they become adjusted to your growing conditions, they really can take a leap in pitcher size. It can be quite surprising the way they just suddenly jump in size, from pitcher to pitcher.

Good luck with yours too.

dvg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    My Pasian was also about the size of yours when I got it two years ago, now it is much bigger and starting to make 10in pitchers....

I find that mine is happiest in a sunny south window durring the cold months and when the night temps get above 50F I move it outside to an area that gets dappled sun. I have mine planted in a mix of 3 parts pine mulch, 1 part charcoal, and 2 parts small lava rock chunks.
    Beautiful plant there. I too have thought about placing it outside, along with a few of my other Nepenthes; but I like seeing it far too much, while I'm up to my elbow in dishes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    That's a beautiful truncata BigBella...especially with that gorgeous striped peritome.

I received a Pasian highland last year in April. It was a small plant when I first got it, but it is now making about 8" tall pitchers.
    dvg
    Thanks . . .

When it was somewhat younger, the pitcher would open with that striped peristome, then become a more solid red (akin to Exo's); now, it consistently remains striped. Here's a shot of the most recent pitcher, having opened about a week ago.

Nepenthes truncata (Pasian Highland)

Last edited by BigBella; 06-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    [I]Beautiful plant there. I too have thought about placing it outside, along with a few of my other Nepenthes; but I like seeing it far too much (akin to Exo's), while I'm up to my elbow in dishes . . .
    Thank you, I like seeing mine to, I just make sure I go out and see it every day.
    Best part about growing it outside it the fact that it catches all of it's own food, I just make sure it doesn't get too dry and it pretty much grows itself.

Very nice truncata, BTW, Kinda looks like one of the lowland forms.....very unusual
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Thank you, I like seeing mine to, I just make sure I go out and see it every day.
    Best part about growing it outside it the fact that it catches all of it's own food, I just make sure it doesn't get too dry and it pretty much grows itself.

Very nice truncata, BTW, Kinda looks like one of the lowland forms.....very unusual
    For better or worse, my plant manages to catch its fair share of insects in the kitchen; but I do frequently leave the door to the garage open. Considering how cold it gets in the Winter, the sucker certainly qualifies as a highlander.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing how the Nepenthes truncata "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades" plants develop. I have only had them three weeks (shipped in a wad of paper towel) and there's some visibly new growth. Perhaps it will eventually take care of a troublesome screeching neighborhood cat . . . or two.

I was enjoying an Addam's Family moment there . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine isn't as nice as the above, but here's my N. truncata Paisan highland. It's a fast grower, like they say.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast