Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Pitcher Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse First Time Pitcher Owner

Hello Evryone,

I just bought my first pitcher yesterday; a N. Alata(or so claims the sticker). IN the past i have had venus flytraps, some succesful and some failure. the other day was the first time i had seen pitcher in person......they look so wicked! before i bought the Alata i did some research on it. now i have bought it and the care sheet contradict what i had learned. so i will post my concerns and questions and comments on here, until i leave on my church mission, or until it dies.

Well up here in tx it has been in the mid 90's,a nd about to hit the low 100's this weekend. I havea my Alata under our tree in the back. its humid over here and the temperature in the shade is drastically different than in direct sun. i belive it will be ok. In the process of transfering the alata form nursery to house the fluid spilled out, since then i have put a little of distilled water in eatch of the pitchers. the pitchers look wonderful, i hope it continues to thrive. Until the next update!

My N. in their new home!

A view of the alata and the tree!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is an N. xVentrata which is a hybrid between ventricosa and alata, really quite an easy plant, how much is your humidity there? if its drastically lower than the nursery you will probably see some pitchers wilt and leaves die off, be careful of that heat too, not many neps, aside from ultralowlanders like it that hot...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good looking Nepenthes x ventrata! It's one of the easiest neps to care for, I'd say your conditions look pretty good. I'd see how it does and if it doesn't pitcher maybe consider giving it a bit more light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you've got a hardy plant that can withstand a wide range of conditions. just remember to cool water the roots once or twice a week, and it should be fine.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool watering roots

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    you've got a hardy plant that can withstand a wide range of conditions. just remember to cool water the roots once or twice a week, and it should be fine.
    What does it mean to cool water the roots?

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

in the first picture you can see a section of the bottom of the dish that is slightly parted. the nursery said that thats for overflowing water? I specifically read that they dont like to sit in water. should i try to take that thing off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shamuse, i have some nep pots with it on still and some that ive removed them from and i havent noticed any difference in growth for the plants, in a hot climate like yours, a small tray like that will probably be beneficial...
    for cool watering i think what he means is taking cool water and watering with that to keep the plants roots cool...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    for cool watering i think what he means is taking cool water and watering with that to keep the plants roots cool...
    ed zachary.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    shamuse, i have some nep pots with it on still and some that ive removed them from and i havent noticed any difference in growth for the plants, in a hot climate like yours, a small tray like that will probably be beneficial...
    cool water it even though it may have enough water? wont that rot the roots if you over water it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast