What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange colours on Nepenthes

Hello! I've recently been noticing that one of the leaves on my Nepenthes 'Judith Finn' has strange spots on it and a gnarled growth point. What is wrong with my plant?

100_3578-1.jpg

Also, my Nepenthes sanguinea has this weird coloration on the tendril before it detaches from the leave, any ideas on this? Notice how only one leaf has this.

100_3579-1.jpg

Thank you!

just nectar glands, its quite common...

For me, when I notice nectar glands on any of my plants, it's usually a good sign that that particular leaf will pitcher. I think it serves as a "happy trail" to the pitcher?

Most of my plants do that thing one way or the other, I just never knew what they were either, but I did notice that they were a good thing

How long have you had the Judith Finn? Since you're in TX I assume it's probably getting plenty of warm temps? Mine grew way better in HL conditions. It grew OK for a while warm but then started growing wonky leaves and looking sort of like yours does except mine was a 4-6" plant when I moved it to HL conditions and then it really took off growing rather quickly into a large plant and didn't put out any more funny shaped/spotty leaves.

I'm going to presume the Sanguinea is just reacting to brighter light due to summer but keep an eye out for other anomalies like the curled growth point/wonky leaves like on your JF. That may indicate some sort of mite or pest problem as well.

As far as the spotting goes they could be sunburned nectar spots, burn spots from being misted and then set in the bright sun. Do those spots ever ooze nectar? What does the underside of the spotty leaves look like? Nectar spots should be visible from below as a dark spot, sort of like a blackhead zit. IME healthy nectar glands should be a very slight bump, if it's a concave pit and rough then it's likely burn or a burned out gland.

Last edited:
How long have you had the Judith Finn? Since you're in TX I assume it's probably getting plenty of warm temps? Mine grew way better in HL conditions. It grew OK for a while warm but then started growing wonky leaves and looking sort of like yours does except mine was a 4-6" plant when I moved it to HL conditions and then it really took off.

I'm going to presume the Sanguinea is just reacting to brighter light due to summer but keep an eye out for other anomalies like the curled growth point/wonky leaves like on your JF. That may indicate some sort of mite or pest problem as well.

I've had it since winter. I'm trying to give my plants cool temperatures but all attempts fail, indoors is the same as outdoor temps. Mine is around 4-6" too, but i don't think you can see the stem in the pic.

Back