What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

small or slow growing neps

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hi all. After searching I'm still confused as to the best nep for my situation.
I'd like a small and/or slow growing nep for my terrirum. One that will not outgrow my space for at least 18 months. After that I can deal with larger quarters.
My terr right now is 24" long, 12" wide and 18" deep. It has daytime temps of 80 degrees f. with 65% humidity and nighttime temps of 70 degrees f. and 75 % humidity. I've been tracking this for some time now and it remains fairly constant.

I've had a baby alta in there last winter which did fine and is now outside for the summer but would like to add something more "dramatic" in pitcher color.

thanks
chibae

N.belii would be a good match.

try a ventricosa with something bright. its wil be hard and highland, while growing at a good enough rate and the ventrocosas reds will mix good with another bright *****ered plants. venricosa X specibilis?

N. lowii is slow growing from what I hear. I believe it is a highlander though, perhaps you can try to lower the temp. at night to suit it better.

I'm also looking for a small Nepenthes. Any suggestions?

I 've heard aristolochioides ,clipeata and campanulata stay small.

I found a site that's selling Clipeata, and I would like to get one before they go extinct in the wild.

Aristolochioides is a vining plant, that has quite long internodes, so I disagree with the comment of aristo being small. my friend's plant is young, but is already 6 inches tall.

Last edited:

Clipeata is no small plant. While it doesn't truly climb, it can have stems more than three feet long... with a rosette diameter of +1 foot. :crazy:

I'm sorry for misinforming people, i'm just repeating what i've read.
I have none of these plants.:blush:

N. Glabrata stays small

campanulata sounds perfect for the job. keep in mind that the entire plant can reach a diameter of a foot long. but that's small considering the realm of nepenthes.

Thanks guys, now I have some definite directions to look in

glabrata stays tiny but gets tall...

glabrata stays tiny but gets tall...

But I can always trim it, correct?

What about Ampullaria? It says in the Savage Garden that if it gets too tall, you can always trim it close to the ground level and it will produce clusters of lower pitchers.

N. argentii is the samllest nep there is. I would say N. villosa is a REAL SLOOOOOOOOOOW grower too.

N. argentii is the samllest nep there is. I would say N. villosa is a REAL SLOOOOOOOOOOW grower too.

Is Nepenthes Argentii difficult to grow?

I've only had mine for about a month so I can't really say yet. It's still acclimating, but looks like it grows just like any other highland so far.

Is Nepenthes Argentii difficult to grow?

I've only had mine for about a month so I can't really say yet. It's still acclimating, but looks like it grows just like any other highland so far.

I'll second that - mine's finally acclimatized - and while it's still stalling, it hasn't dropped any leaves (just the pitchers).

Back