What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N bicalcarata repotting

After catching some conversations over the size of root systems in Nepenthes bicalcarata, N. rajah and others I thought this would serve as a good example. I have had this plant for about a year and a half and ever since it recovered from being shipped in an Indiana winter, it hasn't stopped to look back or skipped a beat. It was definitely overdue for a repotting and I had some spare time tonight so this little guy finally got what he was asking for. I lightly pushed on the pot to loosen the media and it cracked on me. I'm not too sure if it was due to tempered plastic or from the roots being packed so tight but in never the less you can clearly see the roots imprinted on the inside of the pot. Enjoy!

When I received it:

IMG_1583.JPG_595.jpg

Now:
IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG_595.jpg

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

And for neglecting it it rewards me with 4 basals :blush:
IMG_3077.JPG

My size 11 slipper for comparison.
IMG_3078.JPG

This was the largest pot I had and sadly will only last 6 months - 1 year at most before I have to upgrade to a gallon size pot. Good thing transplant shock has never been an issue for it in the past!
Thanks for looking!

thats insane!!! lol i never knew nep roots could leave imprits in plastic much less cause a pot to break!

I was surprised as well to see the imprints but as I said I dont know if I can attribute the pot breaking entirely to the roots due to my squeezing and tempering of the plastic over time but I certainly think they had some influence on it!

That's a violent beast of a plant! Good luck with the new pot, get a titanium one so it has a better chance of coping with the pressure from the Nep's roots ;)

Mine looks like your before picture having gotten it recently. It is getting bigger with each leaf.

Question: How is your current humidity situation? Have you weaned it to slightly lower humidity? I have been giving mine 80-85 constant and was hoping that once it gets larger I could perhaps get it to grow successfully in 60%. Otherwise I am going to have to do some building...

I bet that root ball was fun to untangle! Or did you just leave as is and repot that way?

Wow! Mine is as big as yours. I've had it for three times as long maybe. Looking great. It's interesting to see how the age influences a plant. Although ours are the same size, yours may be even bigger, the few pitchers that my plant produces seem to be more "mature" looking.

By the looks of it, that plant will keep you on your toes in the future as far as spacial constraints go. :D

Thanks all:

Dash: Yes I have weaned mine to lower RH, but at a cost. I originally had it in a 20 gallon covered and later on non covered tank. This seemed to make a significant enough difference in humidity that growth rate change was noticeable compared to now. It now experiences occasional lows of 70 degree nights and RH usually is around 50% - 70%. Day temps vary from into the 90s but mostly stay within the 80s. With dropping the temp and RH I've noticed smaller but harder pitchers and slower growth but thicker leaves. I also attribute some of the slower growth to the basals leaching energy from the mother plant. If you have the time, space and resources I strongly recommend building a containment for it if; it's truly rewarding to see this plant grow at full rate but I just could not sustain that long term right now. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to eventually acclimate yours to 60% RH, I have found the myths of this plant to be just as true as the ones of 'hamata is picky and can't be grown as a house plant'. Also under intense light I have had the pitchers turn near black, very impressive to see but the leaves do tend to experience burn more frequently.

Nightsky: I actually left the root ball as is, the media was not old enough to replace yet (a year old at most) and untangling it would have just caused more of a transplant shock I think.

Dex: This puppy is already keeping me on my toes. I have grown it side by side next to my larger LL trunc but it soon will need it's own space, especially if those basals decide to take off on me. It should make for an impressive bical bush. Have you experimented with RH on this plant any? IME, as I stated above, lower RH seems to be responsible for smaller pitchers. Feel free to post pics of yours by the way, you can never have too many pics :)

That is encouraging to know. Thanks.

Back