Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veggie eater?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veggie eater?

Well according to wikipedia N. ampullaria is a vegetation eater: N. ampullaria has largely moved away from carnivory and acquires a substantial portion of its nutrients from digesting leaf matter that falls to the forest floor. It is thus partially detritivorous.

The species has developed several unique traits as a consequence of its adaptation to trapping leaf litter:

* It is the only species in the genus to lack "lunate" cells in its pitchers.[6] These are modified stomatal guard cells which, it is thought, deny prey a foothold in the pitcher.[5]
    * The pitcher lid is atypical, being very small and reflexed, such that leaf litter is allowed to fall directly into the pitcher.[4]
    * Nectar glands, which play an important role in prey capture, are very rare and in some cases completely absent from the pitcher lid.[4]
    * The marginal glands of the peristome are greatly reduced compared to those of other species.[4]
    * In terrestrial pitchers, the glandular region extends almost to the peristome, such that there is little or no conductive waxy zone.[3][7][8][9] The waxy zone functions by causing prey to slip and fall into the digestive fluid.[4]
    * The plant's architecture, consisting of subsurface runners and offshoots, is unusual for the genus. The species often forms a "carpet" of pitchers covering the soil. This serves to maximise the area over which falling debris may be intercepted.[4]
    * The pitchers of N. ampullaria are relatively long-lived, as the species relies on a slow accumulation of nutrients over time.[4]
    * It is thought that infaunal organisms, such as mosquito larvae, facilitate breakdown of leaf litter and aid in the transfer of nitrogen from it to the plant by means of the excretion of ammonium ions. Bacterial breakdown of leaf matter is also known to produce ammonium ions.[4]

It has been shown that foliar stable nitrogen isotope (15N) abundance in N. ampullaria plants growing under forest canopy (litterfall present) is significantly lower than in plants without access to litterfall. Conversely, total nitrogen concentrations are higher in these plants compared to those growing in open sites with no litterfall. It has been estimated that N. ampullaria plants growing under forest canopy derive 35.7% (±0.1%) of their foliar nitrogen from leaf litter.[10]
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.. are you saying it should be called an herbivorous plant?
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    So.. are you saying it should be called an herbivorous plant?
    No, detritvorous. That still doesn't cancel its ability to digest insects sig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have it classified protocarnivorous.. I just thought this was all unusual info and wanted thoughts etc.. anyone have dead leaves to give their amp?
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Ampullaria is just trying to catch whatever it can.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Detritivorous. Protocarnivorous. My head is spinning! Never heard these words before.

If it eats plants and bugs it's also omnivorous right?
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justjack View Post
    Detritivorous. Protocarnivorous. My head is spinning! Never heard these words before.

If it eats plants and bugs it's also omnivorous right?
    not really..I dont think a plant is really capable of being omnivorous..
    omnivorous means "eating both plants and animals"..but its more than that..
    I think it also means "able to eat plants and animals, and pretty much anything that it can find that is edible"..IMO, the term omnivorous should really apply only to animals, since plants cant really seek out "any food they want".

There arent a lot of omnivorous animals..humans, raccoons, bears, pigs..and a few more.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But again, according to wiki it lacks a lot of necessities to capture insects such as nectar glands, and it's behavior is to make lots of ground pitchers. Again, it's wiki, but it makes sense to me..
    The Buddha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast