Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highlander question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say that, that ventrata quadrupled in size in 9 months, but it was in the same pot.
    Until then i watered it the same as when i just got it.
    When i finally paid attention to it i found out it drains all the water in 1 day.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris thats the truth! Being rootbound will definetly cause them to use more water. If its just the top thats dry the fan is probably your problem. Maybe point it away from them to circulate the air without that direct wind. If its getting drier throughout the media, I would look into needing a repot. Is it all the plants in the area or just a few?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't let my hlers get dry. I water them once a week. The top of the media is bone dry by then but the media under is still moist. Anytime I let them get too dry unintentionally I noticed they were all to happy to abort pitchers both mature and still forming. The plants themselves came through fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im thinking of getting egg crate, doing a false bottom with a ultrasonic fogger running underneath. and getting small trays (really tiny ceramic ones just the size of the bottom of a 4 inch round pot) so that it has a sort of resevoir to make sure the roots dont dry out in case im held up and cant get home on the day i usually water. would this work? planning on having the fogger running 6-7 times a day for 10 minutes at a time. and having a small cpu fan (the one i disconnected but will be putting it further away) running at night to get the night time drops needed.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might not need the fogger. I have an eggcrate bottom sitting on top of a few pieces of pvc pool grates for some height and a few inches of water at the bottom. I don't know how your terrarium is set up but between the water at the bottom, the lights, and a fan I get consistently at the very least 80% humidity without anything else in an 150 gal. It may not be enough to drop the temperature though, even with a fogger (I tried) unless you can cool the water somehow or have it in a colder room.

Let me know if it works for you, I've been experimentling with cooling a different tank a few ways and so far not good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i have the a/c ceiling vents facing straight into the tank and the drop with that is about 8-9 degrees, im hoping that adding the fogger the added wetness will lower temps at least another 5-6 degrees. that way i can get 15 degree drop everynight if not more.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12