Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highlander question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlander question

ive been reading alot tonight/today (havent slept) and apparently a fair amount of people say that they can stay a bit on the drier side with no adverse affects. is this necesarily true? ive just stuck to the moist side just to be safe, but ive been experiencing a dry spell of sorts where the pots are only lasting 2 days tops before i must water again.

This is how i water my neps. i top water in a tupperware container, let the pot sit in water for about 5 minutes, to make sure that all the sphagnum is sufficiently wet. i then let it drain for 3 minutes and put it back in the terrarium. input PLEASE?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you refering to the media staying on the drier side or the plant itself? I found the media can dry out more than recommended (obviously) and the plant will be fine. I mostly grow lowlanders and hybrids though, so I'm no higlander expert. The older pitchers and the pitchers in general will die faster I noticed. There was a few months where I was so busy they became a bit neglected with drier media, but other than the pitchers (and growth rate slowed) they were fine. It would really depend on what you mean by "on the drier side" though. Are you trying to see how long they can go in between waterings and still be happy? My terrarium neps get watered only once a week, but they have dried lf sphag in their media and are in at least 80% humidity too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My neps (ventrata, soper and sang) survived not being watered for 2 weeks.
    The ventrata was so dry, when i squeezed the spag it was potted in it turned to dust :P
    During that time the grew very slow and didn't pitcher, but as soon as i started watering them properly again they went full trottle like nothing ever happened.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, ventrata is a tough one, I think mine had gone about 2 weeks without water too one time and bounced right back fine. Come to think of it I have a sibayunesis outside of a terrarium that only got watered once a week too for a little while- fine but no new pitchers (I heard they are more sensitive than most though.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jafvortex93 View Post
    ive been reading alot tonight/today (havent slept) and apparently a fair amount of people say that they can stay a bit on the drier side with no adverse affects. is this necesarily true? ive just stuck to the moist side just to be safe, but ive been experiencing a dry spell of sorts where the pots are only lasting 2 days tops before i must water again.

This is how i water my neps. i top water in a tupperware container, let the pot sit in water for about 5 minutes, to make sure that all the sphagnum is sufficiently wet. i then let it drain for 3 minutes and put it back in the terrarium. input PLEASE?
    I would not let the media get too dry, especially since most mixes are very open and can quickly become dessicated; but your watering technique is, otherwise, very similar to mine . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @taargus: im referring only to the media. i go out of town for about 4-5 days at a time popping in around the 3rd day to water and leaving again till the 5th day. but recently the media hasnt been staying moist for as long as it usually does. i turned one of the fans off thinking maybe its been speeding up on me (just to rule it out or it may very well be the cause of the dry spell).

@taliesen: i havent let the media get that dry yet lol.

@BB: ive been watering like usual but like i said above, theres a variable thats unaccounted for thats drying out the pots (hopefully its just the fan). I hope with turning the fan off i can go back to my normal watering regimen.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overuse of fans is a likely culprit and can dry moss in a very short span of time . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rootbound neps absorb water in a really short amount of time. They're actually fairly thirsty plants!
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast