What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.x [x splendiana x x mixta] variants

These 2 are from Tropics seed batch, with such a large amount of variance I'm curious to see what everyone elses looks like :) If you have one of these and don't mind sharing some pics post it plz! Thanks! :)

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

I like the third and last one. Now you're going to tell me that they're the same plant, huh. ;)

This is where I tell you that those last 2 are the same hehe :)

Picture002-1.jpg

Thanks guys. Jimscott your picture serves as a good example of what I mean. Yours looks like a spitting image of a mirabilis, both leaf wise and pitcher wise. I wonder if seeds may have gotten mixed up along the way or even the tags or if pollination was mixed up.

Dash: What conservatory are you talking about? The one next to the Indy zoo? Do they have a decent CP collection there?

Jims Nep does look just like the mirabilis seedling I have
Thanks guys. Jimscott your picture serves as a good example of what I mean. Yours looks like a spitting image of a mirabilis, both leaf wise and pitcher wise. I wonder if seeds may have gotten mixed up along the way or even the tags or if pollination was mixed up.

Dash: What conservatory are you talking about? The one next to the Indy zoo? Do they have a decent CP collection there?

It actually came with several others in a pot, from another hobbyist.

yeah judging by the leaf edges and attachments, that there is a mirabilis jim, nice plant though

Thanks for posting the photos. I'm glad to see the plants doing so well. Here's some information about the parentage, and I'm sorry I didn't take the time to inform the recipients of seeds when I sent them out. Back when I bought the "Mixta" plant, it was labeled "Maxima," which was obviously wrong. I posted photos of the plant on the forum, and "Mixta" was the guess that I thought was best, although "Miranda" was also in contention. The Splendiana female was pollinated by hand with "Mixta" pollen. However, the plants are growing outdoors with other plants, and no effort is made to prevent natural pollination by insects or the wind, so there could have been pollination from other males like Rokko that were blooming at the time. That's about as much as I know. Even though the parentage is uncertain, I hope you are enjoying the plants.

Thanks for the info Tropics! Always helps to know more about a plant and it's possible origins. I think we all are absolutely enjoying the plants, you've definitely created some beauties out there. Most really turned out stunning IMO. I think I'll label mine as Tropics batch of distributed splend x mixta and just inform future recipients if and when I am to trade or sell these down the line. The first one I posted IMO looks like it is indeed splend x mixta while the 2nd does not but seeing as the parents are both hybrids themselves anything is possible...

French3z, your two plants at the beginning of this thread do look like they fit the hybrid. When Bednar/Bramblett first made this cross back in the 90's there was some variation. Labeling them "Tropic's Grex" would be a good idea.

Thanks Trent, it always helps to get an expert's input. I should clarify though that the first 2 pictures are of the same plant and the last 2 pictures are of a secondary plant. I do agree that the first plant better fits the description than the latter.
The CP photo finder has limited links, do you happen to know if any of the clones from the 90s are still around? Surely some must still be, perhaps Bruce has a few of them still?

We may have it somewhere in the greenhouse. Not sure anymore. I'll look over the weekend for it.

I don't think this is pure Splendiana x mixta but here is my lone seedling.
I received the seeds 3-4 years ago and this is the only surviving one.
I think it's spendiana x mixta xx veitchii. Just a guess though.

splenianaxmixta3.jpg

splenianaxmixta2.jpg

splenianaxmixta.jpg

splenianaxmixta4.jpg

Back