Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Goofy experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goofy experiment

Soo, I took a small ventrata rooted cutting in a roughly 2.5" pot that sits in a cup of the same size to the convenience store I work at, just to see if it would survive. Temps are around 70 with continual light 24-7. It's potted in mostly peat with a few old coffee grounds thrown on top (from store). It's been very slowly growing for almost a year, and is very small and compact. VERY small. I suppose it's due to the endless light cause the parent plant gets 5 or 6 times as big. It has two healthy pitchers currently. Lots of interest has been generated in customers and co-workers alike. So I gave another cutting or two to some co-worker friends, but they don't know what to expect still, even though I've tried to describe and they're not so internet savvy.

Now the interesting part. I made some more cuttings, and snipped a full size adult pitcher just to show them. They were like (hahahaha). But then what to do with said pitcher? I said just toss it. Well someone kept it and her husband keeps filling it with water and it's lasted for some weeks without the rest of the plant. I never would have thought it would work this long, crazy. I thought it would have shriveled by now for sure.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what my new cups will be replaced with now!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard you can cut off a pitcher and fill it with cotton balls to keep it from drying out. Could be the same idea.. just a method of keeping it hydrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a picture of Robert Cantley with friends drinking beer out of a preserved lowii pitcher (super kewl) but not the same thing. I'm just waiting to see how long they can make this pitcher last.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    justjack - i remember him doing that with a rajah pitcher....but a lowii one? maybe hes done both lol...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the leaf has been cut off from the plant, there are no longer any nutrients going into the tissues. Feeding it would do no good, the out-going and in-coming "veins" aren't connected. Eventually the pitcher will start to brown as the cells die. Interesting that it's lasted this long.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Picture?
    I'm so camera deficient. Plus it's at someone else's house, the watered and decapitated pitcher that is.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    justjack - i remember him doing that with a rajah pitcher....but a lowii one? maybe hes done both lol...
    "It's good to be the king"! LOL!

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    Since the leaf has been cut off from the plant, there are no longer any nutrients going into the tissues. Feeding it would do no good, the out-going and in-coming "veins" aren't connected. Eventually the pitcher will start to brown as the cells die. Interesting that it's lasted this long.
    My point entirely. I wouldn't have thought this would happen or be possible. To really lol, they wondered , as newbies do, if the pitcher might root!

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    My point entirely. I wouldn't have thought this would happen or be possible. To really lol, they wondered , as newbies do, if the pitcher might root!
    Good growing, Jack