What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

there a flower in derr?

It feels like a flower stalk.. but I'm yet to see one so I'm just guessing.

N. spectabilis x ventricosa

100_4308.jpg

100_4309.jpg

There might be, Have you tried to fully unfold the leaf to be able to see whats down in there?

There might be, Have you tried to fully unfold the leaf to be able to see whats down in there?

but of course.. you know I'm too antsy to just leave it. It's wrapped way too tight to get it unfolded any further. Gonna have to wait a little longer I guess.

Yep im 95% sure that is a flower! I beleive the one you got is a male... Congratz!!!!

Is a male a good thing? I'm super excited for my first nep flower!!

If it is a male. I have some nice females to cross him with.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

A male would be a good thing as you can send the pollen to people with flowering females.

Use your man-strength to open it. XD
Congrats on the flower, if it is one!

Use your man-strength to open it. XD
Congrats on the flower, if it is one!

I would.. but I baby them with gentle love. :water:

If it is a male. I have some nice females to cross him with.
A male would be a good thing as you can send the pollen to people with flowering females.

So this part of neps I am all noob too.. So your going to have to walk me through the whole pollen thing, collecting, etc. So if it gets crossed with something it would be N. *** x (spec. x vent)?

So this part of neps I am all noob too.. So your going to have to walk me through the whole pollen thing, collecting, etc. So if it gets crossed with something it would be N. *** x (spec. x vent)?

I think the male goes first, so it would be N. (spectabilis x ventricosa) x Nep101's plant.

You got the Hybrid thing right. If I were to hybrid him with my Female Truncata x Veitchii H/L or Female Hamakua It would end up being Truncata x Veitchii H/L x spec x Vent and Hamakua x spec x Vent.

The way to collect the pollen would be to just cut off the yellow pollen ball from the male flower. But dont collect the pollen till you see the powdery pollen form on the male flower. Pollen is never ready when the flower first opens. It takes several days to ripen.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

I think the male goes first, so it would be N. (spectabilis x ventricosa) x Nep101's plant.

The Female is always the first named plant in hybridizing them together.

You got the Hybrid thing right. If I were to hybrid him with my Female Truncata x Veitchii H/L or Female Hamakua It would end up being Truncata x Veitchii H/L x spec x Vent and Hamakua x spec x Vent.

Got it.. I'll let you know when it's time. Maybe we can cross something.

I dig your new avatar by the way..

Got it.. I'll let you know when it's time. Maybe we can cross something.

I dig your new avatar by the way..

Thanks, lol. I like the Avatar as well.

I have a small list of Females here that I could cross him with when my Females flower. I'll give you the list here. I hope for these to flower for me again soon here. I can store the pollen for when they flower and make the crosses then.

Females:

Hamakua

Truncata x Aristolochioides

Truncata x Veitchii H/L

Tenuis

The Female is always the first named plant in hybridizing them together.
Thanks for explaining that. :)

lol nate there is no way to tell on gender until the flower is fully exposed...
it very well could be a flower, it will probably be another week before you are able to fold it out and check without potentially damaging the leaf...
if its a flower, congrats :)

Lol I know the guy who sent him the plant and he said it was a male... haha As much as I wish I were phycic.... its not happening.
O and btw I believe that the Female goes firs like as in Ventricosa x Spectabilis, Ventricosa is the female plant...

hmm i think that person was xantius if im not mistaken, i dont remember him saying it was male though...

dang, you guys know more about my plants than I do. lol

You should cross it with yourself making it N. Massmorels x (Spectibilis x Ventricosa).

As for that part, maybe someone else should explain how that works...

Holeeeee s*** MM, what in the heck are you doing in the plant room with your pants down?
(answers calmly) I'm bored and making hybrids, what else? And Audrey from the little shop of horrors is born.

Back