What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mostly neps, but all from boredom!

Bored bored bored.. pics pics pics!

100_4303.jpg

100_4304.jpg

100_4317.jpg

100_4322.jpg

100_4319.jpg

think I've got some humidity in there..

100_4312.jpg

Last week.. (N. 'Black Knight')

100_4173-1.jpg

This week..

100_4302.jpg

N. 'King Tiger' pitcher popped up over night and double in size!

100_4293.jpg

N. ventrata was my first plant.. here's it's FIRST pitcher (in the middle) blending in with 2 mirabilis x tobaica pitchers.

100_4300.jpg

N. albomarginata 'Kuching Spotted'

100_4299.jpg

albo town meeting.. few stragglers behind.

100_4295.jpg

Got these in today.. N. albomarginata 'Red' (Penang) seed grown from Dashman.

100_4290.jpg

Picture time is over.. the mister kicked on. :-(

100_4315.jpg

So Dashman actrually sent those N. albomarginata 'Red' (Penang) seed grown plants already potted and germinated to you or just seeds and you did the rest? I am interested in the near future to perhaps procure a few from you. Pleeeeez keep me in mind. ;)

I just sent him the seedlings. Pot, soil, water, and light source not included. LOL.

I am getting really low on those. I used to have probably 20-25 or so but have traded, given, and auctioned (NASC) away most of them. I think I maybe have 5-6 left and will probably let those grow out a bit before deciding what to do with them.

I got them from JimmyJ a while ago. I haven't seen JimmyJ around for a while. I think the original source was from tropics, but not 100% positive.

dash is the man..

I've gotten about 5 from him. When it's time, hit me up about a trade for one. I'll see if I'm able to part with an albo. I haven't been able to yet, but ya never know.

I'm curious, for advice, how they were shipped. Did you take delicate seedlings out of their media and wrap then ship, or how?

They came in moist LFS in a sandwich bag. That's the standard.. they arrived in great shape.

Thanks MM. Good to know.

Seedlings make me nervous as well.

The best way I have received seedlings are in tiny specimen jars. That is how I got all 20-25 of these when they were really really tiny all in one specimen jar larger than a quarter but smaller than a 1/2 dollar.

What I do for larger seedlings is...
I fill a sandwich size baggie with moist LFS about 1/3 of the way up. I then tenderly extract the seedlings from the pot going down an inch or two and place the plant and LFS I extracted on top of the LFS in the baggie. I then give another spray or two to the plants inside the baggie to make sure the media I extracted is moist enough.

Once the plants are in, I seal the baggie and extract most of the air so I can roll the baggie up into a cigar shape. After that, I tape the baggie with a small piece of tape so that it doesn't unravel while I am packing it.

I then fill the USPS box 1/2 way with shipping peanuts. Place the baggie ontop of the peanuts. Tape the baggie to both sides of the box so it doesn't move around too much, then fill the box the rest of the way with shipping peanuts. This way the baggie is in the middle of the box and will not move too much even if thrown about.

I am sure there are more and better ways to do it, but that is what I came up with... We'll I probably copied someone along the way... just not sure who.

EDIT: Forgot to mention what I use to extract the seedlings... Corn holders. The ones with metal spikes. They are perfect to pry up seedlings in LFS.

Last edited:
Back