What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fusca trouble?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I recently moved my N. Fusca outside for the summer(I take it in when it gets too hot though,) and it has started to look like the leaves are both decaying and wilting. Could it be too much light, or could there be something else,(no pests on last checkup) such as stress?

I think all neps have a tendancy to do this when you change it's conditions drastically. It could be a mixture of things ... light increase, humidity drop, wind burn, etc. As long as there are no extremes here the plant can't handle, the plant should adjust over time.

I used to bring some of mine outside for the summer but I stopped doing that for exactly this reason. It would take them a month or two to acclaimate and then by the time they got going again, I would have to bring them in due to fall approaching. My warm season was just too short for it to be of any use to growing neps outdoors for me.

My other ones are great. Last year my Fusca was fine. I always take them in overnight (yeah, I should leave them out, but the birds here love spaghnum!) and I take them in if it gets over 90/below 60.

It may be something else then. Just sharing my experiences. Good luck!

It is easy to agree with Dash,
as your plant is now showing a problem shortly after changing its environment.
It is logical that the plant is showing its reaction to the change.
As was mentioned, likely the increase of light or heat. (Even WE sun burn the first time out for the day! Um, some more than others.)

Unless shade cloth was used, or the plant was exposed to the sun slowly (a few hours to start out...and NOT mid-day sun!!!) then this is the likely cause, as the change could then indeed be considered a bit "drastic".

Well, just my opinion. Experience is the best teacher, so I guess time will tell. As you say, your other ones are doing fine so far.

Good luck

i definitely agree here with dashman, i would strongly advise misting the plant down a few times a day, and moving it to a bit more shady area. Which variety of fusca are we talking about here?
ive heard from several people that the flared peristome variety absolutely loves full sun, im not too sure about the other varieties, but i would venture a guess that full sun to partial shade would be ideal...
Your experiences with the leaves withering sound like a dead ringer for lack of humidity and moisture, smashed together with too much sun too fast before the plant has had a chance to adapt...try raising misting it like i said and putting it in a slightly shaded area so the plant isnt baked...

I put my all my neps outdoors this season just because my room started getting pretty warm in the middle of the day with the lights on...

They love the temp drops and I noticed the plants that are left in the shade acclimate better under dappled sunlight, before you start moving them into more and more sunlight. It's like a 2-3 week process for some plants honestly, but so far no dropped pitchers or leaves.

i definitely agree here with dashman, i would strongly advise misting the plant down a few times a day, and moving it to a bit more shady area. Which variety of fusca are we talking about here?
ive heard from several people that the flared peristome variety absolutely loves full sun, im not too sure about the other varieties, but i would venture a guess that full sun to partial shade would be ideal...
Your experiences with the leaves withering sound like a dead ringer for lack of humidity and moisture, smashed together with too much sun too fast before the plant has had a chance to adapt...try raising misting it like i said and putting it in a slightly shaded area so the plant isnt baked...
It's back inside now.
No clue on the form, will look at its name tag when I get the chance.
Inside our kitchen, the humidity is normally 70%. The humidity outside is usually very low, except the other day it was 100%.

Perhaps this sounds confusing,
but I don't think that putting it outside into the sun was said to be a bad thing. Just that acclimating it by finding a semi-shady/semi-sunny spot (out of the mid-day hottest sunlight of the day) for a couple weeks, slowly acclimating it to more sunlight would make for an easier transition for the plant.

Also,as another thought, if it is placed amongst other garden plants, (and watering the garden plants and the nearby soil down with a hose), that will help provide the dappled sunlight AND temporarily bring up the humidity a bit for your plant. (Extra misting is also helpful, however also temporary.) Some people's plants don't have humidity issues it seems, and their plants do fine apparently, so your results will likely vary.

I don't know if others will agree, but I would consider putting it back outside, especially if your other Neps are doing fine with it. Just be sure to place this one in a bit more semi-shaded spot, and perhaps water the surrounding plants and soil to boost the humidity in the area. Then give it time.

The "burn" has already occurred, and the plant will likely take time to recover anyway. It may even show more signs of distress, however from the sound of it, it will recover in time.
When making changes, make them slow and gentle. In the meantime watch the response you get from the plants. They are telling you what they think of the change. But even beneficial change should take place slowly and gently, as plants need time to acclimate and adjust to things, even good things!
[Change is stressful on plants. Small/gentle changes lessen the stress. Large/quick changes increase it.] IMO, that is all you are experiencing with this plant. I learned this lesson repeatedly, as I have "improved" my lighting and growing conditions over the years, and experienced firsthand that even an improvement can harm a plant!
I assume I will be going thru that again too, as we never know what change will be too much, but at least we can try to minimize the stress.

Again,
Take care and good luck!

I don't know if others will agree, but I would consider putting it back outside, especially if your other Neps are doing fine with it. Just be sure to place this one in a bit more semi-shaded spot, and perhaps water the surrounding plants and soil to boost the humidity in the area. Then give it time.

I would, I'm just going away for a while, so all are coming in.
Once these come back outside, I will place them with my outside orchids(semi-shady spot on porch).

Joel, from NepsAroundtheHouse just flings them outside and lets them fend for themselves, and they usually pull through, just as long as you know the spot would actually work for neps. Daytime temps are definitely a bother this time of year for me.

well if you were going to be going away for awhile, why did you place them outside to begin with, only to bring them right back in?

I agree with GrowinOld, the damage has been done from the sun and climate change, if you werent leaving, i would leave it outside.

I definitely was not trying to say bring it back it, or that growing it in full sun was bad, i was indeed saying what growinold say, acclimatizing is needed.

Nor I. I had better results leaving mine indoors year round but definately an option for some. Given time, it should acclaimate and do fine.

well if you were going to be going away for awhile, why did you place them outside to begin with, only to bring them right back in?
They were out since sometime in early-mid June. I bring them in every time I go away for more than a day, and they have taken to that just fine.

Moving them around frequently is an easy way to stress the plants, find a good home for them where they can stay for a good while without moving, and leave em be....for example, my plants are in the greenhouse during the warm weather between May and October, and during the cold months, in my garage under lights.
also the bringing them in if its colder than 60 is not necessary, my plants regularly take it down to the mid to low 40s at night with no trouble, infact its almost ideal for most highland plants. they have even taken it down to 35 without a problem, though i dont recommend doing that obviously Lol.
Generally, the safe range for highlanders is anywhere between 90 and 40 degrees
i try not to let it get much over 90 degrees in the greenhouse, or below 40. i dont use a heater or a cooler so its a bit difficult, but evaporative cooling is the most amazing thing since...well anything lol.

I grow outside only because I live in an upstairs bedroom in California in the middle of the summer, so my HL don't get the lower temps they would like at night. Full sun is tolerated, but I don't think it's ideal for them. More on the shady side with 2-3 hours of direct sun is good followed by shade the rest of the day. We all have that spot lol.

Andy's Sang is loving it out there!

Back