Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: My new Nepenthes Edwardsiana

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man,

wow!! Its really sad to see that. Such an expensive/wanted little plant, only to succumb to heat/shipping stress. i hope that it can comeback, but considering the stem is going black and such a plant generally doesn't have a great root system..... well.... all u can do is hope for the best.
    But don't sweat it man. **** happens! You just got to move on. Now you know that these plants require a lot more TLC.
    I hope you can get something figured out for this.

cheers,

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh crap that sucks. What a blow. Those teeny, tiny tc plants are so darn fragile. I had a wistuba macrophylla that I kept alive for a year, and it died about two weeks ago. It was the same size as your eddie. I swear you simply look at those tiny tc plants and they will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lil TC plants are a pain.....think the main reason i have decent luck is confidence in my conditions and above all the ability to ignore the plants for a long while.....one thing my short attention span is good for is making the tiny adjustments needed to harden off a tc plant.....make a lil change and be totally comfortable ignoring the plant for several weeks and only make another change to carry along the hardening off process....im not constantly fussing over it, taking it out of the bag for pictures all the time.....actually i rarely take pics unless i feel a plant has made gains to warrant it which is hard for newbies, i know it was for me.....7 years into the hobby and enough plants that i like that are growing well its no big deal to ignore that lil tc plant in the corner....

i realize none of this has to do with shipping stress but given the talk of lil TC plants and hardening them off i thought i would chime in.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    Oh crap that sucks. What a blow. Those teeny, tiny tc plants are so darn fragile. I had a wistuba macrophylla that I kept alive for a year, and it died about two weeks ago. It was the same size as your eddie. I swear you simply look at those tiny tc plants and they will die.
    It was the same size as his eddie after a year of growing!?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by massmorels View Post
    It was the same size as his eddie after a year of growing!?!?!
    Yeah. It didn't gain any size at all. It just sat in suspended animation. Alive, but not growing. Although my other tc wistuba neps have done well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    lil TC plants are a pain.....think the main reason i have decent luck is confidence in my conditions and above all the ability to ignore the plants for a long while.....one thing my short attention span is good for is making the tiny adjustments needed to harden off a tc plant.....make a lil change and be totally comfortable ignoring the plant for several weeks and only make another change to carry along the hardening off process....im not constantly fussing over it, taking it out of the bag for pictures all the time.....actually i rarely take pics unless i feel a plant has made gains to warrant it which is hard for newbies, i know it was for me.....7 years into the hobby and enough plants that i like that are growing well its no big deal to ignore that lil tc plant in the corner....

i realize none of this has to do with shipping stress but given the talk of lil TC plants and hardening them off i thought i would chime in.....
    Yeah, I ignore my plants for the most part too, (other than watering and a monthly feeding of ants) it seems to be the secret to good growth......not to mention they don't seem to grow as slow then you only look at them every other day.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    ......not to mention they don't seem to grow as slow then you only look at them every other day.
    True that! I swear mine only grow when I'm gone for a long weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to grow them

Hello all,
    as I'm extremely short of these it's very sad for me to see one of thee has died.
    Luckily these are 100% trouble-free for me (except for extremely slow growth and propagation), so I'm quite sure that either something happened during shipping (heat?) or something went wrong with cultivation at your place.
    As I cannot 100% rule out potential reason 1 (heat stress during shipment) I stand to my word that every plant from my nursery that arrives damaged is replaced. So, Nepenthes101, don't worry for your money. Just let me know by eMail your name and I'll work this out.

Nevertheless I feel I should give some details on how to grow these well:

1. They really NEED cool nights and moderately cool days. I grow them in a greenhouse that mainly houses my Heliamphoras which is equipped with evaporative cooling installed in one side. Even at the hottest days in the year I easily can keep temperature below 25°C during day. At night I never have more than 16°C in this greenhouse. In winter often less than 10°C at night - I start heating at 8°C at night in winter. I have lots of air movement in this greenhouse. Even when evaporative cooling is off, a big blower always moves around the air inside the greenhouse.
    2. They need LOTS of light. While I use some shading in summer to keep away the hottest sun, I use additional metal-halide lights on overcast days and in winter.
    3. I'd call these plants grown extremely hardy. People often associate plants propagated in vitro with softness and think they have to give them lots of special care. In case of N. edwardsiana this unneeded care easily kills the plants. The only thing I'd care about in case of plants that have shipped around the globe without substrate (= stressed or damaged roots) is a constantly humid air for the first 2 weeks or so. All plants that I ship nowadays are hardened in the greenhouse for several months and they are fit to do well in a correctly set up greenhouse without much of an issue.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Andreas

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast