What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tendril anatomy on N. bicalcarata

I was looking at the tendrils on N. bicalcarata and found something that seems rather unique to the plant itself. The tendrils seem to have a small swelling near the bottom half or third towards the pitcher. While most species do have a swelling near the base of the pitcher, it is usually more gradual and lower on the tendril. N. bicalcarata seems to have a more sudden change in girth of the tendril much higher than other Neps. I couldn't find an official description of the plant itself so I am wondering if this trait could be used as a describing factor or if this trait is present in other Neps not in my collection. Not that with the 2 gigantic fangs the plant has it's difficult to ID, but the more the merrier. I'm curious to see what others are seeing on their plants...

IMG_3067.JPG_595.jpg

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

In comparison to a few others:

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

Isn't that for where the ants are supposed to live in the wild?

It very well could be. I thought I remembered reading the ants took up residence in the hollow fangs but I don't see why they couldn't do so in the tendril as well. If they do reside in the tendril, it's very neat to see that the in situ mutualism has left an imprint on the plants at a genetic level as both species evolve.

I noticed that on my Bical years ago, and just figured with the big fat ol' pitcher to support, the stem needed extra girth to hold it up.
Indeed it might be something to look for when trying to identify a hybrid, however I am not sure if it is only specific to Bical's or if the trait is passed on without the fangs.

Actually, Thez is right about the swelled tendril. Bical produces them for the native ant species. It's a mutual relationship; the ants get shelter, and the bical's ants actually will attack pests living on the bical as well as providing a snack now and again. ;)

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys, now the million dollar question: Why is it just half of the tendril that's swollen and not all of it? :grin: I also wonder if this is just something present in this clone alone or in all bicals.
I'll have to dissect one of the tendrils and snap some pics. Will update.

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys, now the million dollar question: Why is it just half of the tendril that's swollen and not all of it? :grin: I also wonder if this is just something present in this clone alone or in all bicals.
I'll have to dissect one of the tendrils and snap some pics. Will update.

I'm pretty sure that it's present in most, if not all bicals. The trait only comes out once the plant is a nice-sized plant IIRC.

I'm not sure why the swelling on the tendril is the size it is... :p

Back