Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: N. argentii cultivation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't want to get hollered at before the holidays so I figured I'd do a quick update.... the two pitchers that the little guy was working on in the last update have both opened and it's trying to extend it's new longest tendril (bottom left ~7 o'clock)...

... the one on the left ... and the one on the right ...

... the long tendril is in the middle and this fuzzy guy will be the one after that:

I like how it's now holding onto the pitchers for a while - I hope it keeps it up. (but still no batwings)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! Very nice my current plant is threatening to die...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my gosh, such a beautiful plant Ron!

Did you notice if it grows faster after it puts on a certain size?

Mine is still putting along quite slowly.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Yay! Very nice my current plant is threatening to die...
    Say it ain't so ...

Good luck with the wrist - I hope it heals quickly for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Did you notice if it grows faster after it puts on a certain size?
    The size of the plant hasn't changed all that much since I received it but the pitchers are a tad larger than the earlier versions. It's currently growing the fastest I've seen - maybe it like's having it's picture taken ...
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    It's currently growing the fastest I've seen - maybe it like's having it's picture taken ...
    I should probably give mine more camera time then.

Do you feed or fertilize the plant at all?

Only reason I ask is mine is just not growing anywhere near as fast as yours even with increased lighting (which I thought they love?). It's also a AW clone.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you feed or fertilize the plant at all?
    Yup. I 'try' to regularly fertilize all of my pitcher plants w/ a weak solution in the pitcher (Neps, Heli's, Cephs & specific Sarrs). The schedule depends on my time & the plant's uptake. Some plants will empty their pitchers each week (or close) and others won't. The ones that like the feedings get fed every week or two (depending on my available time - it might stretch to once every month or two). Once the pitchers get over an inch or two, I usually do not fill them up.

I suspect that is why some N. lowii grow so slowly for some people while mine grows like a weed. Ok - maybe not a fast weed - but constantly growing new leaves & inflating pitchers. If you haven't read it yet, here's a great thread on lowii water uptake. My N. inermis is the main plant that does not like this treatment.

Only reason I ask is mine is just not growing anywhere near as fast as yours even with increased lighting (which I thought they love?). It's also a AW clone.
    I recently acquired a BE clone in a trade. It's growing very, very slowly so far (no pitchers).
    Last edited by RL7836; 04-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as some others have noted N. argentii can be a pain to grow, so any change in growth is often very exciting and demands reflection.

I've noticed that my small plant has made a new leaf at what seems like the speed of light. Previously my plant had been growing at a speed of just above suspended animation, and has now made the jump to slightly below the speed of an average Nepenthes. Worth noting is that this growth spurt occurred right after I repotted the plant into a slightly denser sand and peat based mix, but put into a net pot where it has been allowed to dry out in between waterings. I've now been keeping the plant on the drier side and this leaf appears to be chugging along quite well!

Anyway, who really knows if I'm on to something, but I just had to document it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update: my AW plant continues to grow like a weed while my BE plant sulks. Here's some pics of the AW (2.5"/6.3cm pot):

Two previously published in the new POTM thread ... starting to show some under-lid teeth:

I've seen at least one pic in the photofinder where the teeth push significantly further on the underside of the lid so I'm guessing mine still has some maturing to do.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    N. argentii seems to refuse to pitcher in cultivation if the plant is not allowed to throw its tendrils into the soil first.
    Sentences like the above are found in multiple places on the web. However, even a quick review of photofinder pics refutes this assertion. Based on these expert opinions as well as McPherson's observations of in-situ plants, I've encouraged the pitchers on my plant to nestle into the surrounding mosses when possible:

So, imagine my shock when I turn this pitcher around & discover:

Yup - holes. I also found some in an older blackened pitcher that had been partially buried. I'm not sure how my moss differs from natural habitat moss but staying in contact with it in my conditions doesn't appear to be helping pitchers last. My N. tenuis loves to bury it's pitchers even more than my argentii. However, none of them have ever sprouted any holes even when a pitcher is literally squished into a very tight space. The N. tenuis pitchers stay whole until they finally blacken. Based on all this, I think N. argentii pitchers will now sit on top of the moss ...
    Last edited by RL7836; 04-04-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast