Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: N. argentii cultivation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow that is an incredible argentii! I thought it was a lot bigger than a 2.5" pot when I first saw it. How big was it when you got it?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah Ron your plant is the very envy of my soul.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MY BE argentii is finally taking off after dying and coming back as a basal....can't wait for it to look like yours.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice comments. My main reason for posting was to show the holes. To me, that was a big deal. How the heck does a plant, that is known for supposedly burying pitchers, easily develop holes in those pitchers when they're touching something??!!

In doing searches for info on this plant, it seems that no one has really unlocked the idiosyncrasies that regularly produce strong plants & good growth. There are a number of strong assertions about what must be done - but these are often as wrong as they are right. The 'Nepenthes University' states for media "Long Fiber Sphagnum (This is almost a mandatory mix due to its growth habit)". The plant in the pics is in a peat-based mix while the newer BE plant is languishing in a LFS mix. Dex comments in a post above: "Worth noting is that this growth spurt occurred right after I repotted the plant into a slightly denser sand and peat based mix, but put into a net pot where it has been allowed to dry out in between waterings." My plant 'seems' to like being wet without drying out much ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    I thought it was a lot bigger than a 2.5" pot when I first saw it.
    One of the things I thought when I was looking through photofinder pics is that it's easy to forget just how small this plant really is. McPherson states that lower pitchers max out around 4cm (little bit over 1.5") - so these plants are truly lilliputian. The newest pitcher in the post above is a bit larger than 4cm (with raised lid). Does that mean it's close to full size?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli View Post
    How big was it when you got it?
    I don't remember but you can still see the shorter leaves in the 1st pic...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting RL7836. When I started into nepenthes I used the Nepenthes University is my main guide. He wants everything in LFS only. I still have some plants potted like this from last year when I first got into the hobby and am looking forward to repotting because I don't think they are doing as well as they could. CP Photofinder has lots of nice pics of this plant with pitcher dangling in the air. How big (or small) does the plant itself get in diameter (inches) once full sized?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagirion View Post
    How big (or small) does the plant itself get in diameter (inches) once full sized?
    From McPherson: "... as one of the smallest of all Nepenthes, the rosettes of mature plants rarely exceeding 25cm in diameter" (which is a hair less than 10 inches).
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh these plants are so confounding indeed. There appears to be no magic formula whatsoever yet...

When I first received mine it excelled in just LFS. But that changed over time. Perhaps it was that the moss grew stale and lacked some kind of nutrients after a while. I wont know for sure though because I also moved it around hoping it would prefer some other location. Now I've yet to repot it back into LFS especially after seeing Ron's plant.

In regards to the holes in your plants, I think it is funny that there has always been that belief that they need to bury their tendrils into the moss in order for them to grow. In all in situ pictures I've ever seen there is almost no moss of any kind around, and the tendrils aren't buried at all. Keep in mind this plant usually only keeps one or two pitchers at any given time in the wild.

Perhaps the entire notion of growing N. argentii anywhere other than on top of a razor sharp limestone mountain that receives gale force winds and monsoon like conditions is just new and uncharted territory for the genes of these plants.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic plants guys. Has anyone had success growing them in a limestone based mix? Perhaps that bit of alkalinity is required for these plants.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast