What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffee Fert Pls if possible no links

Like the thread says if possible no links cause i've read most of it.

Anyway I'm a kid which doesn't drink coffee first of all so i have 0 idea or knowing basically nothing about coffee. As far as i've read it seems simple just taking cold/old cup of coffee and watering the soil of the plant/nep.

One qiestion is when u say black coffee does it have to be the beans itself made into coffee(is that possible?) Or do i buy those ready made coffee powder without cream and sugar? If its the latter, i have another question, aren't these ready coffee powder mixed something else which might harm the plant or anything maybe oil or something ( i really don't know ) or they dont mix anything into the powder

*facepalm* Look, this is just how it works for me, but I use a small turkey baster to put a small solution of coffee in the pitchers. The coffee should be liquid and not boiling hot, but I wouldn't recommend it to be old. Since I've been experimenting this a lot, I would just say to put the coffee at the temperature of normal water you'd water your plants with. Top water with the coffee, then drench it with distilled water to wash out the coffee after 10 minutes. I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I haven't gone so far. I say, don't try the coffee method. It's hard and it is dangerous to your plants. If you really want to get into this, I'd try a simple experiment using 2 Ventricosae of the same age. Pour 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of MaxSea (16-16-16) Fertilizer into a gallon of distilled water. Then, lightly mist the solution onto the leaves of 1 Ventricosa. Another method is to lightly sprinkle the MaxSea onto the leaves once or twice a month. Observe the difference in growth after 2 months. MaxSea is the safest you can go, it's a kelp fertilizer that doesn't burn your plants! Personally, I haven't tried it, and I'm a heck of a lot younger than you, so what do I know? One thing I do know is that fertilizer/coffee is for the big leagues and MaxSea is good to try out first.

I'd have to be the opposing side to that argument. You can fry your plants using a fertilizer like MaxSea.. so I leave that to the pro's and stick with the coffee.
I just pour 8oz. of room temp. coffee (no cream or sugar) through the media. Let it drain out completely.. and repeat every 3 months or so. And I don't flush the media afterwards. Doing so would make the whole coffee treatment seem pointless.

Au contrair; MaxSea can only be harmful to your plants if used too excessively. Although I do admit my mistake about the coffee. I will still stand by my idea to clean out the soil, for it may become more helpful in overall smell of the soil and needed lengths between repotting (look at me talking all serious :p ).

So.. then you agree it can be fatal if you don't know what your doing. Where as with coffee you have plenty of room to experiment and learn without the worry of frying your plants to death like you would with a fertilizer.
And you keep saying "soil".. what kind of media are you using for your neps? I wouldn't call my substrate soil by any means. You should be using 50:50 LFS/perlite, or a different percentage/combination of the two.

Not fatal, potentially dangerous. And coffee is still not fully understandable yet when used on CPs.
Soil as in media ;) .

I've got to ask the obvious question.. What's the difference between fatal and potentially dangerous? When it comes to my plants, they are one in the same.
What's not understood? I can speculate without doing the research and say the caffeine accelerates the growth rate of the plant. But that's just off the top of my head..

I don't want to argue about this. Let's just agree to disagree. Obviously, we have different views on fertilizers, but I don't want this to become a fight over a little thing.

Like the thread says if possible no links cause i've read most of it.

Anyway I'm a kid which doesn't drink coffee first of all so i have 0 idea or knowing basically nothing about coffee. As far as i've read it seems simple just taking cold/old cup of coffee and watering the soil of the plant/nep.

One qiestion is when u say black coffee does it have to be the beans itself made into coffee(is that possible?) Or do i buy those ready made coffee powder without cream and sugar? If its the latter, i have another question, aren't these ready coffee powder mixed something else which might harm the plant or anything maybe oil or something ( i really don't know ) or they dont mix anything into the powder

The "regular made powder" is instant coffee. Most of the good stuff is taken out of that, so that's not what you want. You want brewed coffee, coffee made from the whole bean ground and then filtered through hot water. If your parents don't drink regular brewed, just get a cup of black from starbucks or Mcdonalds of something, I don't think they add too much junk to it. Some people also dilute the coffee, but I don't know about that. Others only make the coffee with distilled water, thought I doubt a once every three month watering would be any cause for concern.

This thread might help you: Edit: No! No links!

Last edited:
Go to Starbucks and ask if they have used grounds for mulch. They usually keep bags around and give them away free to customers as a courtesy. If there's no Starbucks nearby, try another upscale chain (don't know if you have Coffee People in your area) or just a foo-fah coffee place that has a merchandise section (like coffee makers and other gadgets and stuff.) A place that has sit-down customers is more likely to offer grounds for mulch than a drive-through coffee stand.
Mix a heaping cup of old grounds with a gallon or so of boiling water and let it simmer for a little while, then strain the liquid off into another container and let it cool. It's OK if a little bit of the grounds gets in, but you don't want a lot because even after being brewed twice there's still a lot of nutrients in there. Don't save the used grounds long because it's an ideal media for fungus when wet, which it pretty much always is as far as I can tell.
Once your coffee muck has cooled to room temperature you can water with it. Since I make big batches at a time and leave them to boil until they become a fairly concentrated sludge, I'll usually dilute it until it's watery-thin and slightly clearer than coffee (that is, you can see all the way through a cup of it but it's still got a distinctive brown color.) I think silence is correct that instant coffee is inappropriate. Many of them contain flavorings that I'm not so sure about. A bag of used grounds from Starbucks might have some flavored coffee in there, but the flavors were probably added at roasting and are less likely to be artificial than in an instant coffee powder. Besides which, used grounds are free and you get them in such a quantity that you'll have plenty to experiment with; at my local place they usually have them in portions of a gallon or more, which is more than I need for all my Neps and other houseplants that appreciate fertilization.
As for fertilizing pitchers rather than the media, I'm not sure. I usually give it to the media, but this time around I have several plants with large pitchers on them so I think I'll try a half-teaspoon or so in a few and see how they react.
~Joe

I think you are all missing the point,

The original poster should start drinking coffee as soon as possible. Preferably around his parents. Just kidding. The Caffeine doesn't do anything to speed up growth, but coffee is full of Nitrogen.

I promise, though. Fertilizing is no difficult or dangerous if you follow the instructions of others. Just dilute the dose. Not risky. If you can divide by two or four, then you can fertilize :)

I have thought about using coffee... But fertilizer is more standardized. A pot of coffee that I make is made with five heaping scoops of grounds. Another person might make coffee half that strong... So should I dilute mine by four or two or keep it straight? Tats rhetorical since I don't use coffee, but something to consider. But I doubt it matters anyway... It's just seed water.

Back