What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddy for sale

While I suspect most of the hard-core Nep-philes are already following this sale - for those who are unaware - Eddy sale. There are also some nice pics of mature Eddy pitchers...

Last edited:
yeah, i saw that...TOO MUCH! :(

Wow!!! I couldn't justify paying that much for one, but I can certainly understand someone with the means and desire to own one paying that much.

I hope it is a nursery who gets it. One with vast TC knowledge. :)

I hope it is a nursery who gets it. One with vast TC knowledge. :)
Has anyone successfully T/C'd Nepenthes plants? I'm probably behind the times but I thought Neps had some sort of symbiont within that precluded T/C from any material outside seeds... Is this not accurate?

@RL: believe it or not, there are a FEW labs that were successful in TC'ing neps.
from such a lab's website:

"Nepenthes - the Tropical Pitcher Plants

New species of Nepenthes are being described on a somewhat regular basis as more remote areas of their range in southeast Asia are explored. Tissue culture is typically from seed, but it is also possible to propagate plants by meristem culture. This challenging technique requires a fair amount of plant material because contamination rates are high. Our lab uses either a liquid media on a rotator for small meristems (~2 mm in size) or solid media for larger shoots as described below.

Jian-Miao, C., G. Pei-Yuan, and G. Quan. 2003. Tissue culture and rapid propagation of Nepenthes mirabilis. Plant Physiology Communications. 39: 40.

Rasco Jr., E. T. and M. A. D. Maquilan. 2005. Initial studies on in vitro germination and early seedling growth of Nepenthes truncata Macf. Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. 34: 51 - 55.

Song-Jun, Z., C. Zhi-Lin, and D. Jun. 2003. Tissue culture and rapid propagation of Nepenthes x hybridus cv. Dyeriana. Plant Physiology Communications. 39:479.

Tandon, P. and T. S. Rathore. 1994. Mass clonal multiplication of the threatened Indian insectivorous plant (Nepenthes khasiana Hook F.) through shoot bud culture. In: P. Tandon, ed. Advances in Plant Tissue Culture in India: Proceedings of the XIII Plant Tissue Culture Conference, October 18-20, 1989, Shillong, India. Pragati Prakashan, Meerut, India, pp. 185 - 192."

shows it can be done......but i see they have only tried it on easy to grow robust plants.....wouldnt make a blanket statement saying it works for all till alot more experimenting is done......also says yah need alot of plant material which yah dont have with this eddy......a few neps are known to keel over if yah chop the top with no side growth as they arent to prone to erupting the nodes.....i sure in the hell would not be chopping up that plant and risking loosing it if im dropping a grand on it, atleast not till i have a ton more growth to play with....

So wistuba TC'ed his eddy's from seed? I don't pretend to be an expert in this area. I just assumed Dr. Wistuba cloned his from plant material and not seed.

It is a beautifully grown specimen.

xvart.

So wistuba TC'ed his eddy's from seed? I don't pretend to be an expert in this area. I just assumed Dr. Wistuba cloned his from plant material and not seed.

i would be hugely surprised if he did it with anything other than seed.....

Wow I wish him luck. Hope he gets a ton for it. I know how he feels. I just incurred a huge amount of medical debt myself and am wondering if might have to do the same. I don't have anything fancy like that though! Wish I did as I'd be selling it.

I feel so bad for him! A medical emergency AND he has to lose his Nep. Eddy :( .

That is so horrible. The thing is I would be fasting rather than selling my nep collection.

$2700 gets it done. I suspect the price is quite low since they are now available via T/C (and maybe the recession?).

Back