Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basal growth question on N.Ampullaria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without realizing it I guess I've been following your viv journal on DB already! LOL
    Wonderful tank - I love seeing growing in photos.

Yes you can cut the main vine once you start getting basals, just be aware that one of the basals will start to elongate to replace it but you will have many months before it's also too long and needs to be trimmed as well.

As far as rooting the cut section of N. ampullaria vine you can certainly try, of all the Neps I've grown ampullaria seems most reticent about not rooting from a vine cutting. I have no idea why that would possibly be but the basals can be divided up and grown on to new plants no problem. It may have simply been the old clone I had that didn't root from stem cutting, I've got 3 new N. amp forms (harlequin, orange/red and speckled) who may not behave the way my old green form did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepguy View Post
    Don't think of it in terms of an amount of time. Just let it dry out, and when it gets dry, water it normally again. I can't say I quite understand how you mean to use shrink wrap to dry it out.

By the way, I agree with swords. Your vivarium is awesome.
    yeah what I was meaning was how long should I leave it dry before watering. But I get it now. So just let the medium dry before watering again.

The shrink wrap thing was to cover the top of the medium from water because my tank gets misted 3 times a day automatically. So this was the only way to get the medium to dry out was to cover it from water because I don't want the rest of the viv to dry out if I just turn off the misters.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Without realizing it I guess I've been following your viv journal on DB already! LOL
    Wonderful tank - I love seeing growing in photos.

Yes you can cut the main vine once you start getting basals, just be aware that one of the basals will start to elongate to replace it but you will have many months before it's also too long and needs to be trimmed as well.

As far as rooting the cut section of N. ampullaria vine you can certainly try, of all the Neps I've grown ampullaria seems most reticent about not rooting from a vine cutting. I have no idea why that would possibly be but the basals can be divided up and grown on to new plants no problem. It may have simply been the old clone I had that didn't root from stem cutting, I've got 3 new N. amp forms (harlequin, orange/red and speckled) who may not behave the way my old green form did.
    thanks for the tips! I'll keep them in mind. And I'll keep you guys posted on the results of this drying out process

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the soil around the amp separated from the rest of the soil? Otherwise I would imagine the moisture would simply wick into the drier area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the soil is separate from the bottom area. It's planted higher than the ground area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12