Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Nep vivarium gets started

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't sure what kind of Thuidium it was.. so I took a stab in the dark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's as good of a guess as the name I was given! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the ID! now i gotta go find some somewhere lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks a bit like Vesicularia dubyana (aquatic moss)
    Would you be able to grow aquatic mosses emersed in that viv ?
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of my setups with Java Moss growing over the background - a single crab is living in here:

You can indeed grow aquatic mosses and many plants emersed in a humid vivarium. I like to experiment with aquatics, in the big crab tank has Riccia fluritans (aquatic liverwort) growing up and out of the pools, java ferns and other "higher" aquatics growing in only 1-2 inches of water with leaves emerged and they are creeping up onto "dry" land. As long as humidity is high enough and the stems are sturdy enough the plants don't seem to care. Java moss spreads/establishes very slowly underwater but this background only took a month or so to settle in and get growing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah it's possible if it's moist enough. I've had success growing java and christmas moss immersed in my viv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! This tank with java moss I showed above that has "one crab" in it actually has two! I put a pair in there after setting up the tank but I threw out the dead male a couple weeks ago, and miraculously there's a male and female in this tank! I caught the male peeking out of his burrow and the female way up top near the lights when they popped on this morning.

I guess I threw out a molt but it was the best damn molt I've ever seen, no openings and even weighed what one of these tiny crabs weighs! Maybe the other "dead" I tossed were molts too? That would be too much to ask though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's roughly six weeks since I started the "Nep vivarium" time for an updated look around:

Overview

This is a non-root forming N. aristolochioides, been trying to root it since oh October...
    If it strikes on this branch in the wad of live sphagnum it will be cool! This weekend I will get some liquid rooting HormoneX, recut the end and soak it a bit and try yet again.

The Platycerium madagascariensis didn't like being mounted so the original plant is melting down but in it's place are at least 4 small Platycerium plants starting up from the moss mounting pad that will be acclimated entirely to this tank so that's cooler anyway!

Here's the branch, has a white rabbits foot, mini orchid, the N. aristo, platycerium and the cutting of N. beli x (aristo x thorelii) with it's first intermediate/upper pitcher,

Lepanthopsis astrophora 'Stalky' has put up it's first flower stalky for me! It's mounted in some moss on the branch underneath the rabbit's foot fern to give it some shade where it is doing better than when it was in full T5 HO light.

The coarse form of Elaphoglossum peltata (I call them parsley ferns) is doing well sending out runners. Once I get some nice long runners from this and the other fine leaved form I have I will try some cuttings as mounted epiphytes.

This very stiff and tall form of red stemmed Club Moss is establishing and creating new stalks seems to have topped out at 12".

Cephalotus is starting to settle in, the transplanting die off has stopped and all growth you see now is all new with about six growth points so it should develop into a nice clump.The round leaved plant is a red patterned Peperomia starting to develop it's pattern on the newest leaves and the open ground space between the two is some roots of U. reniformis buried lightly under live LFS we'll see if a nice clump pops up.

The little ferny looking liverwort (do not know the species) is doing great on the clay background with 1-3 times daily spraying. I need to find some exciting plants to put up there it's so empty!

Now here is the Vampire Crab and Nepenthes ampullaria 40 gallon tank update, no crab pics, I almost never see them other than buy sheer luck! LOL

The left hand pool I hate duckweed, someone hid some in riccia and here we are! at least the water stays clean. The climbing plant here is Cista amazonica and a sprig of Ficus which came back from a dead sprig's roots. the Utricularia gramminifolia is grown over by the live sphagnum.

Believe it or not there's another pool here on the right side under the Begonia who went wild from a single leaf cutting. The climbing vine in this pic is a miniature Monstera sp.

The spotted Amp and unhappy Amp xharlequin leaf, not sure why but 2 or 3 leaves developed this funny rust, I quit misting before lights out and it seemed to stop that.

Behind the fern is a red/orange seed grown Amp

I hope you enjoyed the new pics!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast