Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Nep vivarium gets started

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with vampire crabs, but man, I gotta say those have got to be some of the most spoiled crabs in captivity that there are! Beautiful vivariums!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dex, here's a pic from April when I setup the tank these two males (bigger claws) are vying for who gets to build a burrow under the Nep.

Geosessarma sp. "Red" (Sulawesi) Not yet scientifically ID'd.

These crabs are entirely freshwater, females carry eggs on their bellies and give live birth to young that they carry about on their heads. These crabs are extremely nimble climbers of wood, moss, mud, plants and prefer to make their burrows on a vertical surface that they can dig tunnels in. They are quite small, 5 cm being a full grown adult. They raid Nepenthes ampullaria pitchers in their natural habitats to eat any large prey in the pitchers or just to soak and wet their gills if no streams or puddles are handy. Mine may not ever climb into large amp pitchers due to wide availability of food and two pools. I have males and females so should see babies by next summer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy!! If they're not described, how did you acquire them, if you don't mind me asking? Those are really cool, thanks for sharing man. Made me want to get some now to put my ampullaria to use :P
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he said in a previous thread that they were already a popular new item among invertebrate pet circles. My guess is that populations have been identified and they've been taken for culture and study, but scientists haven't decided on an official description/phylogenic placement. They came from a supplier online but I don't remember the details... I'm sure swords will chime in any minute now.
    On that note, I am so jealous. That looks like tons of fun.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These vivariums, terrariums, or awesome tanks are all... awesome! They're really incredible. I've tried to make terrariums before and they all end up looking like a pile of mud. Yours look like a scaled version of a rain forest. I look at the second picture and it's just like "WAUGH! WOW!" It's like one of the time stop animation sets used in plant documentaries... perfect, down to the last detail.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about getting some of the Elaphoglossum peltatum, how is it doing in that humid an envoirment? My tanks would be similar humidity wise. Or if you have a small cutting I'm sure I have a tiny fern or two you don't have. Oddly enough I aquired most of my mini ferns/plants through trading. You just can't find them for sale often.

The stem un-ided Peperomia looks like it might be P. blanda.

Here is the real question...how is the moss control going . I pull out so much moss every month its just silly.

Keep us updated, nice looking setups.

Have you tried the usual aquatic ferns, like java ferns (windelove)? I have some growing emersed in one of my vivariums, it actually has a nice think rhizome now. I would have never thought it would grow there, it was introduced by mistake and has been growing slowly for a little over a year.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have got some spetacular stuff in there swords. very very nice. I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys this is just two tanks of my vivarium addiction, I've got about 10 naturally planted ones going that are in 10 gallon tanks or larger and a bunch of smaller 1.5 gallon ones in plastic candy jars.

RSS, I would love to do a terrarium plant trade with you, I'm always on the lookout for new plants to play with. I can send a few short 1-2" runners of peltatum fine leaf and coarse leaf forms since it's really just getting started spreading. The peltatum fern seems to be a slow grower but then I don't fertilize the tanks with anything other than with crab pool water cos I never know if some critter will end up getting put in one of them. I have plants in other tanks that need pruning as well that I could send along clippings of. It's much easier to pre-organize a trade before pruning than to try and pot it all up and find someplace to start them all!

I do have a standard Java Fern, Anubias nana & Cryptocoryne wendtii growing with roots in water and leaves out in the crab pools. Keep hoping to get some aroid blooms on the Anubias and Crypt, I've had it happen underwater in planted aquariums before but they were also getting CO2.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast