What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spidermites

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
Can someone give me some advice on how to get rid of spidermites in a nep collection? I'm not having much luck so far so I could use some advice.....I've used neem and sevin but they keep coming back. After two rounds of sevin they seemed to dissapear but they came back a month later, I've tried neem but again, the second I stop using it they are back.....

Can they be killed?

Once upon a time, way earlier in the growing season, I had spidermites on everything!
Then I was told to get Green Light Neem II.
I did.
And my plants lived happily ever after.
The end.

Once upon a time, way earlier in the growing season, I had spidermites on everything!
Then I was told to get Green Light Neem II.
I did.
And my plants lived happily ever after.
The end.

Hmm....I used 100% pure neem and it isn't working....perhaps there is something in the Green light that works better....

BTW, how often and how many times did you apply it?

Green Light II has extra poisons ;D

Um...I used it every other day or two until I stopped seeing them and new growth stopped getting destroyed. I didn't really keep track.
<-----super lazy

Thanks for the link......it explains why sevin didn't work out too well........:glare:

So if I'm reading it right, I should just keep carpet bombing them with neem untill they give up?

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Um...I used it every other day or two until I stopped seeing them and new growth stopped getting destroyed. I didn't really keep track.
<-----super lazy

So it didn't seem to be toxic to any of the CPs you used it on?

Nope!! It was recommended to me here, by a few other people who had used it. One guy even used it on his Neps. It wasn't toxic at all. If it were, I wouldn't have used it ;)

pretty much standard operating procedure.... then hopefully the natural balance of predator to mite will return once the sevin works it way out of the system.

Nope!! It was recommended to me here, by a few other people who had used it. One guy even used it on his Neps. It wasn't toxic at all. If it were, I wouldn't have used it ;)

Where did you get it?

On Amazon.com, because my local Lowes has every other Green Light product BUT that.

pretty much standard operating procedure.... then hopefully the natural balance of predator to mite will return once the sevn works it way out of the system.

Yeah, I hope so, I had no idea sevin could cause problems like that, it works so well on other kinds of pests that I figured it would help....My last use of sevin was about a month ago.

I've had luck with neem if I used it early in an attack. And even then I had to really stay on top of it. But I had a really bad attack that made me pull out the big guns. I sprayed each plant and soaked the pots in Orthene. It's systemic and it worked. I did 3 treatments to break the cycle. But it's nasty stuff and I avoid it if at all possible.

Turns out that almost every housplant in my house was affected with mites too.......my mother used soapy water on her houseplants and I used neem on mine, I currently have some greenlight II on it's way in the mail so I can use that next week.

Year of the mite.....:crap:

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

<-----super lazy

BTW....On the directions for the greenlight I ordered, it says to wash the leaves 30min after application to avoid leaf damage....did you do this when you used it?

When using the neem extract, freshness matters especially when using for insect control rather than fungus. Only make enough at a time to use for a day or two.

pretty much standard operating procedure.... then hopefully the natural balance of predator to mite will return once the sevin works it way out of the system.

What eats spidermites in nature? Spiders, Lady Bugs, ?

I think other predatory mites eat em.

Back