What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Monstrocity!

Thought I'd post some pics of my friend's nepenthes. He called me over to take a good look at it and I was SHOCKED to say the least. All we know is that it's a highland hybrid. He found it in the back of a local nursery. He promply took it home and repotted it with MIRACLE GROW. These are the results after 6 months in part sun outdoors. I counted at least 6 basal stems:

photo.jpg

Yes, that's all ONE plant

photo-2.jpg

Here's one of my buddy with the monster:

photo-1.jpg

And one of me holding a developing pitcher:

photo-3.jpg

I convinced him to snip off one of the basals for a cutting for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We repotted (yes in miracle grow again, lol) and did some leaf trimming. It's much more manageable now. I also pulled out a slotted drainage tray out of the bottom of the root bulb that had been unknowingly left in there during potting :-O. I covered the top with live LFS to encourage pitchering (I think the humidity has been too low). Come spring next year we'll be dividing the plant into two- the large clump on the left in the pics and the other basal pulliing to the right will (hopefully) make for a new plant. We'll be using a suitable potting medium next year of course.

Thanks for looking!

This goes against everything I've been taught @.@
Miracle Grow...bad...good?! WHAT?! LOL. That'd explain it's size though :lol:

i would say that is more than likely your typical N. xMiranda, does have some size to it though, no doubt

Miranda hybrid you think? All we know is it's a highland hybrid, probably via Sam Estes. Hopefully that pitcher develops fully and we'll know for sure (well, I won't but you guys will).

Hopefully I'll be able to convince him to take another basal cutting out of the main clump to try and root in water before the winter comes. If the spag rooting I'm attempting doesn't work out that is. I don't have any rooting hormone to boost my chances. If anything it would only help this beast grow.

Last edited:
nice shirt.. Frat's 'R' Us having a sale.

Looks like a miranda the way the tendrils are coming off the undersides of the leaves..

Last edited:
nah i was saying it IS a miranda, flyed...
i dont think sam deals commercially, and its leaves and all look exactly like a miranda

Looks like a miranda the way the tendrils are coming off the leaves..

That's nothing. The people who discover these plants are super-nerds.

How do you know it's a "highland" hybrid, if you don't know what is ?
Why the inclination towards Sam's nursery?
Just digging for info.

Looks like a 'Miranda' to me. I have a few of them.

I don't think miracle grow is going to harm a Nepenthes much, but I'm willing to bet that it isn't going to pitcher because it doesn't need them.

From visiting Sam and seeing his place and talking to him. He generally makes hybrids that are intermediates in terms of temp requirements although he has some HL species at another nursery way up the mountain (not even sure he was 1000 feet above sea level). He might have N. X 'miranda' at is place may have saw one or two there.... and miranda would fight the bill as being a intermediate sort of plant although it does grow in HL conditions.........

Oh, I'm sorry to offend your delicate sense of style, Travis. Next time I'll wear my 'anarchy in the UK' shirt with the connecting nipple ring chain and aboriginal lip plate to make you feel more at home.

Looks like a miranda the way the tendrils are coming off the undersides of the leaves..

Oh, I'm sorry to offend your delicate sense of style, Travis. Next time I'll wear my 'anarchy in the UK' shirt with the connecting nipple ring chain and aboriginal lip plate to make you feel more at home.

lol

That's nothing. The people who discover these plants are super-nerds.

How do you know it's a "highland" hybrid, if you don't know what is ?
Why the inclination towards Sam's nursery?
Just digging for info.

LOL. In looking through the member picture gallery I'm one of the only normal looking people on here. :-)) I guess beauty is in the eye of the dude dressed all emo taking pictures of himself in his mom's basement trying to look edgy. You know, like the old saying ;).

I think it might be a highland hybrid because of the little sign stuck in it when he bought it saying "tropical pitcher plant- highland hybrid" that had color photos of what the mature pitchers looked like. Wish I had saved it, but I didn't.

I don't think miracle grow is going to harm a Nepenthes much, but I'm willing to bet that it isn't going to pitcher because it doesn't need them.

I agree. Doesn't seem to be many mature pictures for such a massive plant. Makes sense why it wouldn't need any though if it's getting suck a boost in nutrients from the soil.

Looks like N. miranda to me too. Nice plant, I remember back when mine finally started pitchering (took like 8 months after I had it shipped to me) but now, no matter what I do or where I move it, it just keeps going. Here it is just before I chopped it all up to make more, and threw it up in the rafters of the greenhouse where it still sits. The gap between the bars was about 12 or 13" so guess how big that pitcher was in the lower left hand corner :D The uppers were a pretty good size too, see the one just above the huge lower.
Andrew

nxmiranda8_2006.JPG

:-)) Seth, you never cease to crack me up. Your my boy regardless of what you wear. Don't worry, I'll stick up for you in the bars too.

I agree. Doesn't seem to be many mature pictures for such a massive plant. Makes sense why it wouldn't need any though if it's getting suck a boost in nutrients from the soil.

No mature pitchers at all in fact! The only one that even resembles a pitcher at this point is only about three inches.

I think you guys might have something here. I actually had the same thought when I first saw the size of the plant and it hadn't even started to vine out yet. Makes sense that it would concentrate on expanding it's foliage in such a nutrient rich environment rather than on producing pitchers for extra nutrients.

It's a really good point. I thought about that, but didn't think I was savvy enough with the subject to make the comment.

:-)) Seth, you never cease to crack me up. Your my boy regardless of what you wear. Don't worry, I'll stick up for you in the bars too.

Thanks, buddy! I need all the help I can get.

I've always had all different kinds of friends. I wander freely amongst the tribes. The only criteria is they have to make me laugh, and you and I both have the same DRY sick sense of humor.

It doesn't even bother me that you look 'tarded. Lots of 'tards are doing really great things with their lives nowadays. My first GF was 'tarded. She's an AIRLINE PILOT now. :-O

No mature pitchers at all in fact! The only one that even resembles a pitcher at this point is only about three inches.

I think you guys might have something here. I actually had the same thought when I first saw the size of the plant and it hadn't even started to vine out yet. Makes sense that it would concentrate on expanding it's foliage in such a nutrient rich environment rather than on producing pitchers for extra nutrients.

That's what I thought but I can never tell if I miss something in pictures :lol:

Back