What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Monstrocity!

That's what I thought but I can never tell if I miss something in pictures :lol:

No- good call, pappy. Sorry the pics aren't great, but not bad for an iPhone!

I can't wait to see what it does when we repot it in a nutrient crappy medium.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Looks like N. miranda to me too. Nice plant, I remember back when mine finally started pitchering (took like 8 months after I had it shipped to me) but now, no matter what I do or where I move it, it just keeps going. Here it is just before I chopped it all up to make more, and threw it up in the rafters of the greenhouse where it still sits. The gap between the bars was about 12 or 13" so guess how big that pitcher was in the lower left hand corner :D The uppers were a pretty good size too, see the one just above the huge lower.
Andrew

nxmiranda8_2006.JPG

Thanks for the pic! That baby is something to behold! Beautiful lowers. It's even flowering! I hope I can replicate something like that.

Looks like we have a miranda or a miranda hybrid on our hands. I'm still going with a hybrid, though. The leaves are more "rippled" like a gourd shape and have a bit more red on them than your plant. Not to mention the ID tag on the plant said it was a highland hybrid. The pic of the pitcher on the tag was definetely lighter (a neon yellowish green) in color than the straight miranda and didn't have as much of a "heart shaped" pitcher opening if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Jack.

Our plant isn't quite as bad off as that. We have nice vines, just not mature pitchers yet. Considering it's almost the end of august something is definetetly going on though. I think being in the back of a nursery with no light for god knows how long stunted it's growth something fierce, and it's just now becoming a "normal" nepenthes again. It's a little late on the pitcher development for sure though.

I'm trying to add humidity with live LFS on top and encouraging him to mist twice a day, but the plant probably won't be "right" until we repot it next year.

To add to the confusion, you should occasionally fertilize once it's in a crappy medium.
Read this for a little perspective.

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nepenthes&action=display&thread=4185

Humidity and lots of light always help as well.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Also it looks to be vining in two directions from what I see.

To encourage Nepenthes to pitcher: STOP fertilizing it if you have been & has decent healthy foliage. START flushing the growing medium with distilled H2O to rinse away nutrients in the medium. This is what will make the plant pitcher: its need to get nutrients that it cannot get from the soil. Be patient & you will start to see pitchers very soon. & feed the pitchers when they develop to encourage their production.

UPDATE:

The first pitcher just opened! Anyone want to venture a guess?

photo-5.jpg

photo-4.jpg

I've never seen a Miranda look like that o.o

My guess is alata x mirada, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. :-D

Whatever it is, it's pretty. All orange and speckled with a stripey peristome. I like it. I like it, alot.
And it has that domed lid! :drool:
*wantwantwant*
N xMonstrosity....tell me that's not a cool name!

Last edited:
Me too. I'm glad the cutting I took hasn't kicked the bucket yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It looks like xLeesii to me:
P1130008.jpg

Omg, it looks so huge compared to the other plants :O

Whatever it is, it looks beautifully radiant. :)

newly opened N. miranda pitcher:
DSC_00250001_3.jpg

DSC_00260002.jpg

Yeah, it's definetely got some miranda in it. It's more orange than the typical miranda though.

Srduggins: what's the one you're holding in your avatar pic. That looks a lot like it actually, lol.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Whatever it is, it's pretty. All orange and speckled with a stripey peristome. I like it. I like it, alot.
And it has that domed lid! :drool:
*wantwantwant*
N xMonstrosity....tell me that's not a cool name!

Hey, sounds like a good name to me Liz. I may be able to get you a rooted cutting for a trade. Mine is doing great.

Hmm. They're all starting to look the same to me now.:-))

I definitely think that it looks like Miranda. In another couple weeks once it has darkened all the way and extended all it's edges all the way I'm sure there will be a definitive consensus.

(Definitive consensus in the Nepenthes hobby...) <---- Oxymoron

Regardless, Miracle Grow proves miraculous! What a beasty plant that is. I'm sure once you throw it in some Nepenthes substrate it will be blast out some monsters.

Hoping so. I'm growing the cutting I took in live LFS and it's doing good. Hoping for a big pitcher next spring! Whatever it is it's pretty. I'll post more pics when the pitchers mature more on the mother plant. I'm just now removing the plastic bag overnight to acclimate the cutting. No rooting hormone or special treatment, just lots of humidity and a windowsill. This hybrid is crazy adaptable.

Love the Chameleons in your avatar pic, BTW. Do you keep those? I'm guessing either jackson's or mountain trihorns right?

I definitely think that it looks like Miranda. In another couple weeks once it has darkened all the way and extended all it's edges all the way I'm sure there will be a definitive consensus.

(Definitive consensus in the Nepenthes hobby...) <---- Oxymoron

Regardless, Miracle Grow proves miraculous! What a beasty plant that is. I'm sure once you throw it in some Nepenthes substrate it will be blast out some monsters.

No I don't keep them. That's just a cool pic I found a long time ago. I believe they are Jackson's. I once had some pygmy leaf chameleons, they lasted maybe nine months all in all until I went on vacation of course... Boo.

I've always wanted to get a chameleon though, however I do not have the current accommodations for a large chameleon and they are very costly in maintaining them and purchasing a captive bred species. (other than typical veiled chameleons)

Someday I will though! For now I will just grow Nepenthes.

Back