What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n.flava & n.jacquelineae small pitchers pics

thez_yo

instigator
My flava and jacquelineae are roughly the same size..3" tall with 3" leaves. They also make the same size pitchers, but you can tell the difference between them even at this small size:

N.jacquelineae:
P8160025.jpg

P8160024.jpg

P8160023.jpg

N.flava:
P8160022.jpg

P8160021.jpg

P8160020.jpg

...and a bonus ampXsib pitcher:
P8160026.jpg

about 5 years ago i stopped in and Jeremiah Harris gave me the guided tour of his greenhouses....i fell in love with his jac and it became a favorite.....ive had one for over 18 months and have decided i like flava better.....cause flava grows like a champ for me and the jac is STILL POUTING! wouldnt have thought it was more of a PITA than macrophylla but even my macro seems happy and i recieved the jac, flava and macro at the same time and at close to the same size and they sit within inches of each other.....

hope your jac does well so i can live vicariously through you........

So do I, thanks! There's just something about a fully grown jacq vine with uppers...takes my breath away. I've got that one, and I've got another on order because I just couldn't help myself. Jamban grows the best of the goblet-style neps for me, but there's just something so graceful about jacquelineae that...dare I say...not even edwardsiana can compete with in my eyes. Not even pitopangii..

awesome neps thez!

Thanks!!

Nice pics. I just found the ampXsib's lid can be opened vertically or even backward, just like a lid of a typical amp does. Agree to you, the shape of jacquelineae is unique, and very interesting. I have a little one but currently it has no pitchers. Hope it grows well and forms pitchers soon.

Yep some great neps there.

Like rattler, my jacq is one finicky chick. Despite very consistent conditions, it will pout for months and months, then put out one great pitcher, than start the process over, and has done this for several years now. But I'm not giving up on her yet.

What's the growth speed of your jacq? Eg. how many weeks does your jacq need to put out a new leaf?

Yep some great neps there.

Like rattler, my jacq is one finicky chick. Despite very consistent conditions, it will pout for months and months, then put out one great pitcher, than start the process over, and has done this for several years now. But I'm not giving up on her yet.

Awesome pics!
I can't wait for my jac to finish opening its pitcher :)

Thanks!

Oh man, jacq is so picky...mine pouted for about 7 months before inflating a tendril...this is the first pitcher I've gotten out of her and I hope not the last! I noticed she didn't want to pitcher until I put her in more light..

I wanted a Flava for a while. Last year I got the chance to preorder a 3" leafspan for $15. I hate myself.

Jamban grows the best of the goblet-style neps for me, ...
Hmmm interesting. Of the goblets, so far I only grow N. jamban* & it is the highlander most impacted by the extra-hot east coast weather (that has increased my basement temps a few degrees). The hamata's & tenuis have laughed at the weather - not the jamban .... :blush:

*(I can't count the BE N. eymae as a goblet-style since their uppers have been shown to be pure maxima. :headwall: Super robust plant with a nice peristome - just no goblets...)

i grow jacq, jamban, and flava....
of the 3 i grow, initially i would say N. jamban is the most vigorous, as they have not skipped a beat since i got either of them....
However, i am realizing...with my N. jacquelineae, that once that thing settles in, and starts growing well....its a beast, and puts out pitchers twice as fast as my jamban, but it could also be an age/size difference...as my jacq is much much larger than either of my jamban plants....though one of the jamban is about to be going out to a new home shortly...
flava, is just rather slow for me....but is a good, strong pitcher producer...

I wanted a Flava for a while. Last year I got the chance to preorder a 3" leafspan for $15. I hate myself.

dang...yeah ow, I'd hurt too..mine was for ~$100 if I remember correctly...

Hmmm interesting. Of the goblets, so far I only grow N. jamban* & it is the highlander most impacted by the extra-hot east coast weather (that has increased my basement temps a few degrees). The hamata's & tenuis have laughed at the weather - not the jamban .... :blush:

*(I can't count the BE N. eymae as a goblet-style since their uppers have been shown to be pure maxima. :headwall: Super robust plant with a nice peristome - just no goblets...)

Hmm..I guess the jamban has actually slowed down and not made a pitcher for me this month, meanwhile tenuis and hamata (the one that's pitchering for me, 3 are poutin') are going strong.

i grow jacq, jamban, and flava....
of the 3 i grow, initially i would say N. jamban is the most vigorous, as they have not skipped a beat since i got either of them....
However, i am realizing...with my N. jacquelineae, that once that thing settles in, and starts growing well....its a beast, and puts out pitchers twice as fast as my jamban, but it could also be an age/size difference...as my jacq is much much larger than either of my jamban plants....though one of the jamban is about to be going out to a new home shortly...
flava, is just rather slow for me....but is a good, strong pitcher producer...

I sure hope that I'm seeing the beginnings of that with my plants!

My jamban has been doing well for me outside here in the Northeast. My Jacq. however..... may it RIP :((

Based on your discussions, jacq seems not an easy plant to grow

i had a hybrid of it with izumae that popped up in some jac seeds grown out by BE......it was a weed....the pure species seems to be a PITA unless you have some combination of conditions it likes......im sure im only missing something small that i cant figure out that would make it thrive but dang if i know what it is....JH's plant i looked at was robust and healthy and ive seen really nice specimens in others collections but im missing something that allows it to thrive.....

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

im half tempted to forget about the pitchers for awhile and spray its leaves with fertilizer it and see if that doesnt get it going good.....maybe getting it to a larger size and it will be hardier.....maybe its just touchy as heck as small.....feeding it with ferts should get it growing bigger faster as it wont try and put energy into pitchers which it really aint making anyway and once it gains some size back off the ferts and encourage it to grow pitchers....

I've found that if you have multiple plants in your collection (like 50% or so) that aren't pitchering, it's because your light isn't sufficient. Once I gave my plants more light, they sprung into action. As long as you give em enough light and consistent conditions for a couple of months, they usually start growing nicely again..unless it's something that needs really really high humidity to pitcher (glabrata apparently does, hamata does, etc.).

the jac is the only nep out of close to 14 sitting in the exact same conditions in the hardening off tank that is not pitchering......were other neps having the problem i would be concerned but supposedly touchy species are doing fine along side the jac....

Hmm, well I musta just found the sweet spot for mine I guess XD. It gets unfiltered intense So.Cal sun dappled from about 1:30PM on until sunset. In a pot that looks a little too small in a mix of like... 50/50 coco husk and lfs, that I'm afraid to change lest it loses its pitcher and aborts the next tendrils..

Back