What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. jamban fill me in!

I've just received an N. jacquelineae and an N. jamban. I've had a jacq in my HL chamber years ago when the first seed grown batch came outta BE but jamban came out after I quit plants for a while. So far it has a single 1" dark red pitcher which already has a nice shape with the plant itself only 2-3" in diameter.

What I "know" is that it's a "small species" (how small do the leaves and pitchers stay?) and "grows fast"(how fast?). Is it a strict HL plant or more of an intermediate species?

Thanks for any info or maybe even pics of a larger plant you can taunt me with. :D

from my experience, jamban is forgiving and can withstand a plethora of conditions within reason. it grew for me whether it experienced 65F or 40F nights, although more vigorously if kept in the low 50s, so i would say it is an easy growing highlander. that being said, it is a viner, so it does not stay on the small side.

jacq is a pain....mine is growing, but not growing well---might be a pest issue. figuring that out now.

Height (vining) isn't a problem - I have a pair of some nifty 12" long surgical scissors I use for terrarium pruning, it's the diameter (leaf length) I'm curious about. I'm trying to keep only Nep species under 2 feet in diameter . Pics I've seen on occasion of jamban in larger size appear to be be only about 8-10" in diameter but looks can be deceiving in photos and it could be bigger or smaller.

How "fast" does jamban reach vining stage?

it vines at the get go--in fact, i burned the leaves initially getting it, because it was too close to the growlights in comparison to everything else i had. i upgraded to a 10 gallon then 20 gallon mainly because of this plant.

since i have a couple of basals, i'll start up a reference point from time from basal to vining according to the number of leaves. the basal pitcher i took a picture of is leaf #2.

Last edited:
My jamban puts out new leaf each 3 weeks. When I got it half a year ago, it was only 3 inch cross. Now it is 6inch cross.

I've just received an N. jacquelineae and an N. jamban. I've had a jacq in my HL chamber years ago when the first seed grown batch came outta BE but jamban came out after I quit plants for a while. So far it has a single 1" dark red pitcher which already has a nice shape with the plant itself only 2-3" in diameter.

What I "know" is that it's a "small species" (how small do the leaves and pitchers stay?) and "grows fast"(how fast?). Is it a strict HL plant or more of an intermediate species?

Thanks for any info or maybe even pics of a larger plant you can taunt me with. :D

Back