Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: n. peter d amato

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching it and was going to bid on it as it got closer to closing, but it's no big deal. It's a nice looking briggsiana. If you paid as much or less than the last bid, I think it's still well worth it. Even though the PDA's I've seen are redder than that, it is possible that it's been growing in shade. Only time will tell if your next pitchers are the colorful pitchers that PDA is known for.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    I was watching it and was going to bid on it as it got closer to closing, but it's no big deal. It's a nice looking briggsiana. If you paid as much or less than the last bid, I think it's still well worth it. Even though the PDA's I've seen are redder than that, it is possible that it's been growing in shade. Only time will tell if your next pitchers are the colorful pitchers that PDA is known for.
    even the pitchers mine puts into hiding due to the fact the plant likes to produce long tendrils always turn deep red regardless of the light.....

that said it is a very nice clone, the stark contrast between the deep red interior and green exterior is very nice and its a plant i would be proud of in my collection.....even though it is most likely not 'Peter D'amato' its not often that you see the general hybrid offered for sale....im told that 'Peter D'amato' does not like to activate lateral nodes and is a pain to root aswell which is why it is uncommon even though it is a hardy and fairly vigorous grower.....im sure the same reason is why you dont see other x Briggsiana clones around much......

Peter D or not you still have a plant that isnt terribly common....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he did say it was being grown in partial sun so well see if i can give it more light for a while.
    I love the super dark inside, and the contrasting green outside, I have several dark pitchering neps that go totally dark purple to black , i do like the more colorful pitchers too, meaning more than one solid color through out the pitcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in defense for my name here... i bought this very plant, and the 'Sabre' from philcula a few years ago. this plant grows outside from april to september every year i have had it. the true color comes out when it produces pitchers inside. even in the sun that i give it, partial... gets full sun from about 1-5 everyday, and bright shade for the rest of the day. here are pics when it grows inside:

outside it does not get as dark for some reason.

i am positive this is the real deal. i got it from philcula, the pitchers get this dark red.... and they look like any other PDA i have seen.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term PDA belongs to a GREX a word that is usually used for naming a seedling batch so there is only one PDA that peter has. the rest are seedbatch siblings Some withh look very dark like the one at Cal Carn and a lot will not have that much color
    Jest like the Judith Adrain, each plant is a little different from the other one because he named the seedling batch Judith Adrian
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    coulda swore PDA was a name given to a single clone versus say 'Black Dragon' which was given to the whole batch of seedlings.....an seedling that was a cut above the rest was called PDA, the rest are just xBriggsiana....atleast going from my memory....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    coulda swore PDA was a name given to a single clone versus say 'Black Dragon' which was given to the whole batch of seedlings
    my thought exactly. there are people out there who have plants from the same seedling batch who do not call their plant PDA. in fact there is another cultivar from the same batch of a name i cant recall off hand.... John something i believe. its also registered to the ICPS too. i find it very unlikely that a grex and a cultivar have the same name if they have the same lineage. if it is in fact a grex are we going to have to ask every time this plant is offered(as rare as it is...) whether it is 'Peter D Amato' the cultivar.... or 'Peter D Amato' the grex name...

all legit PDA plants (legit not being another lowii x ventricosa hybrid given the name so it can be sold for twice as much) i have seen are ALL female. philcula's plant that this came from was a female. this plant is female unless philcula ripped me off which i doubt. most people who can put the time and care into these plants the way that many big name growers do would have no reason to pass a fake.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter keeps his original clone very close to his chest. Even though it was Phil selling the plant. I sincerely doubt that is was a cutting from the original There may have been some very dark siblings in that bunch
    yes the real PDA is a female
    On occasion they are auctioned at the BACPS and are called PDA but it is clarified that it is not the actual named cultivar
    Sabre is oriiginally from Exotica in Australia

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

maybe this will help you figure out if you have been taken
    This is from cp-photofinder
    These 3 photos are of the original plant

Nepenthes 'Peter D'Amato' (D'Amato)
    Comments: [lowii x ventricosa] Peter D'Amato writes: Dr. Marabini in Germany did the cross, which I was told was N. lowii x ventricosa. He sent seed to several growers around the world, including Bill Baumgartl in California. Bill grew out some of the plants over several years. He chose this clone and named it after me. He told me the grex was called N. x briggsiana after, I believe, John Briggs, a Nepenthes hunter. So this clone is technically called N. x briggsiana variety 'Peter D'Amato'. The plant is female. updated: 2010-07-25
    http://www.********************.com/...eterDamato.jpg
    http://www.cpukforum.co.uk/uploader/..._Damato_re.jpg
    http://www.forumcarnivore.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=2064
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast