Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: n. peter d amato

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fly trap lady the last photo in your three picked from photo finder looks more like mine than any other pic i have seen here, other than the red outside of the piccher, it has more of the shape this one has.
    im no expert , but am enjoying learning about this nep here is another. piece from photo finder.
    http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/nbriggsiana.htm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He chose this clone and named it after me. He told me the grex was called N. x briggsiana after, I believe, John Briggs, a Nepenthes hunter. So this clone is technically called N. x briggsiana variety 'Peter D'Amato'. The plant is female.
    that would make 'Peter D Amato' the cultivar and x briggsiana the grex... i dont think you can have one grex that has the exact same lineage(genetically speaking) that can be called another grex. N. x briggsiana var 'Peter D Amato' would be a cultivated variety(cultivar) of the grex briggsiana. 'PDA' being part of the grex briggsiana. so if Peter has the one and only 'Peter D Amato' that would mean that all other 'PDA's are fake and not 'Peter D Amato', all other PDAs are just a grex name and not the same plant. correct?

i have a hard time believing that...

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this photo in is the reason I started my nep. collection, the bottom of this particular nep seems a bit greener than what most here are saying PDA would have in any lighting situation, which nep is this book referring to here . Im totally lost now to all the N.x briggsiana/Peter D Amato talk.
    Thank you again for the cool nep. Alex I just love it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    that would make 'Peter D Amato' the cultivar and x briggsiana the grex... i dont think you can have one grex that has the exact same lineage(genetically speaking) that can be called another grex. N. x briggsiana var 'Peter D Amato' would be a cultivated variety(cultivar) of the grex briggsiana. 'PDA' being part of the grex briggsiana. so if Peter has the one and only 'Peter D Amato' that would mean that all other 'PDA's are fake and not 'Peter D Amato', all other PDAs are just a grex name and not the same plant. correct?

i have a hard time believing that...
    I totally agree but nevertheless Nepenthes 'Peter D Amato' is registered at ICPS:

Carnivorous Plant Names Database

N: $[Nepenthes ' Peter D'Amato ' {D'Amato}]
    P: Savage Garden:275 (1998)
    S: =[[Nepenthes ventricosa {Blanco}] * [Nepenthes lowii {Hook.f.}]]
    B: J.Marabini, Hoechstadt an der Aisch
    Nominant: W.Baumgartl
    C: synonym of [Nepenthes briggsiana {Marabini ex D'Amato}]nom.nud.
    HC: name not registered with ICRA (originator's consent missing)
    Description: Savage Garden:275 (1998)
    + "One variety, named [Nepenthes ' Peter D'Amato ' {D'Amato}] by Bill
    + Baumgartl, has smaller pitchers solidly colored blood red. Other clones
    + have rather sizable pitchers with paler coloration."
    Standard: Savage Garden:274 (1998)
    Etymology: after the author of the name
    It's registered as variety. Quite strange in my eyes. It doesn't seem to be a cultivar nor a grex. This seems to be the part of seeds which Johannes Marabini sent to USA. Never knew that one can also register varieties. In my eyes quite a nonsense to register seedgrown plants which you didn't even crossed.

EDIT:

It's VENTRICOSA x LOWII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bojahnik View Post
    It's VENTRICOSA x LOWII
    Thank you, that's been bugging me since the reverse cross was first mentioned.

Here's my NOT PDA - It's clone 6 from the same batch of seeds:

Does that make it less valuable than PDA? Not in my opinion. Still a single clone from an amazing cross - and it's probably more rare than PDA and every bit as nice.

My slowly rooting PDA
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dang srd.. is there anything you DON'T have?!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow very few lowlanders and not very many species. There are still many growers who grow far more than I do.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flytraplady5 View Post
    Peter keeps his original clone very close to his chest. Even though it was Phil selling the plant. I sincerely doubt that is was a cutting from the original
    Really? And you know this beacause this is what you were told? I hate to be the bearer of bad news Lois, but you're quite wrong. You see...in the cp world it's all about WHO you know, and I know Bill Baumgartle VERY, VERY well. So well in fact that he himself visited my nursery one day some 10 or more years ago and gave me a large cutting from the original 'PDA' stock plant. Peter D'Amato received a rooted CUTTING of the PDA plant...not the ONLY plant in existence. I saw the original plant in Bill's greenhouse in Oakland at the time he gave Peter his piece. Bill also gifted me a cutting of the clone "Atlanta Giant", also a female, which is an unregistered CLONE of the GREX x Briggsiana..grown from the same seed batch where 'PDA' was produced and the largest pitchered form of that grex. Picture a PDA type plant with pitchers a foot tall!!

'PDA' is the registered cultivar from the grex xBriggsiana. Although there may be look-a-likes out there, my plant is the original...cut from the same plant where Peter got his, grown from seed provided by Johanes Mirabini and grown out by Dr. William Baumgartle who registered it.

Alex - You received the AUTHENTIC PDA from me..as did anyone else who you have passed it on to. You can also rest assured that ANY plant material you or anyone EVER receives from me is meticulously and correctly id'd. I'm quite OCD in that area.
    Last edited by philcula; 09-04-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast